This week we studied the story of Joseph - a favorite and familiar story for us! We also memorized the 5th commandment "Honor your father and your mother". Somehow the kids memorized this in record time, hmmm, maybe because they have heard it quoted before?!
Besides the routine things, we finished up our first month of keeping track of reading for the Pizza Hut Book-It program and the children got their certificates! They can take them into Pizza Hut for a free personal sized pizza! B also began reading "Junie B. Jones Toothless Wonder". She was excited to read it with having just lost her own front tooth a couple of weeks ago!
![]() |
| B and Junie B. "Toothless Wonders" |
We did two more experiments while studying air and we caught one in a photo. This is where we "made rain" by boiling water and then holding a plate with ice cubes on top of it over the steam. We created a mini-water cycle right in our own kitchen.
![]() |
| Making "rain" over the stove |
In our history lessons about Egypt we learned more about Egyptian food, arts and crafts, and clothing. We made play pots on Friday from self-drying clay. B loves working with the clay like she gets to do every summer in Art Camp at our local art center. J didn't like the feel of it as much, but did complete the project. We used the directions from our Artistic Pursuits Book 1 art curriculum to create "Near Eastern Pottery". Instead of coiling the clay, they recommended using small balls of clay and then smoothing them inside of a small bowl and letting it dry. They said that some ancient potters used woven baskets to mold the pots inside of.
We have not had our Egyptian meal, yet, I need to see if I can find figs and make fig cakes, but I've not found any, yet. Maybe next week or maybe I should just get Fig Newtons? :)




I'd be all about the fig newtons! The clay pots would be fun to do as well. Thanks for popping into my blog. It's great to re-connect.
ReplyDeleteI love the Junie B. Jones book with your daughter's toothless grin! Precious!
ReplyDeleteAs far as figs go . . . I don't know where you live, so you may not have a Kroger grocery store, but ours carries dried figs in the same place raisins are located. (They're about the same consistency as raisins.)
Good luck finding them! :)
Are you using Tapestry of Grace? I am considering that for next year. Stopping by from the Hip Homeschool Hop!
ReplyDeleteStopping by from the HHH. Your history studies look so fun! What curriculum are you using?
ReplyDeleteHope you have a wonderful week!
Looks like fun!
ReplyDeleteAmy
It's so much fun to read your posts since you are about a week or so ahead of us in My Father's World. We are totally going to do the clay pots! My kids love working with clay so this will be a big hit. I'm glad you're enjoying the history and the projects as much as we are!
ReplyDeleteOkay, I JUST figured out why I couldn't comment on my own blog & now I can reply to you! Jennifer, great idea - for some reason I was thinking they would be in the fresh produce. Duh! To Joy and the other blogger that asked, we use My Father's World and LOVE it! Lisa, it's fun to be doing the same curriculum at the same time! Thanks for stopping by!
ReplyDelete