"Your Word is a light unto my feet and a lamp unto my path." Psalm 119:105

Hello and welcome! I'm a former elementary music educator, turned mom and home educator for more than 15 years. I have a passion for teaching, singing, and encouraging others along the way! Although I began blogging as a way to create a journal of our home education journey, I enjoy writing about a variety of topics related to home education, family, friends, and faith. I hope you enjoy journeying along with us!



Thursday, August 4, 2011

Our 2011-12 Curriculum Choices

Not Back to School Blog Hop


After months of thinking, reading, and planning, our next school year is about to begin and although I am still finalizing some details here is our plan for what resources we will be using in our studies for our 6th year of home education!  I am also linking this post with the "Not Back-to-School Blog Hop" so check out the hop.  There are over 300 participants as I write this post!

We are excited to begin our first year of participating in a newly formed Classical Conversations Community!  We will be participating in weekly Foundations classes, learning lots of memory work in several different subject areas, doing science and music or art activities, short oral presentations, and just plain having fun!  We will also be in an Essentials class in the afternoon for English grammar, math facts practice, and writing.  Mommy is going to learn just as much as the kiddos!  CC Foundations by Leigh Bortins will be our framework of curriculum this year, which is a change, so I am still figuring it out as we go!  In CC we will be doing Foundations Cycle 3 this year, which focuses on American history and will also include memory work in science, English grammar, geography, Latin, Bible, and math.  I will also be tutoring a CC Foundations class.

CC Foundations Resources


Subjects that we study together:

Bible:  The Bible will be our main "textbook", of course!  We also have For Instruction in Righteousness from Doorposts and Victor's Journey Through the Bible to help us out.

History:  We will be memorizing history sentences from American history and a general timeline from all of history in CC Foundations.  We will also read "living books" to bring history to life, including passages from Story of the World Volumes 3 & 4 and we may do some activities from the corresponding activity guides.  We also have Exploring American History and the Kingfisher Encyclopedia of History for reference.

Handwriting: Handwriting Without Tears Cursive and scripture verses for copywork

Science:  (First semester) Human anatomy in CC Foundations, Usborne Complete Book of the Human Body, and Uncover Human Body. (2nd semester) Chemistry, origins, and CC book lists.

Fine Arts:  CC Foundations lessons in drawing, great artists, great composers, and music theory with the tin whistle.  CC Resources include Drawing With Children, Great Artists, and Classical Music for Dummies.

Language Arts (Essentials class)Essentials of the English Language, by Leigh Bortins and IEW U.S. History Writing Vol. 1.
CC Essentials Resources

Foreign Language:  CC Foundations Latin memory work, Rosetta Stone Spanish (Latin America), Level 1, Homeschool Edition


J, 5th grade
Math:  Math memory work in CC, Math U See Delta, and Right Start Math Card Games Kit, Quarter Mile Math, Math Blaster, MUS online drills, and flashcards for practice.

Keyboarding:  Typing Instructor for Kids Platinum 5 and Jumpstart Typing

Music:  piano & guitar lessons, Columbus Indiana Children's Choir

Reading & Spelling:  Barton Reading & Spelling System for J and easy readers about people from American history.  
J's Reading & Spelling Curriculum


B, 3rd grade

Math:  Math memory work in CC,  Math U See Gamma, and Right Start Math Card Games kit, Quarter Mile Math, MUS online drills, and flashcards for practice.

Keyboarding:  Typing Instructor for Kids Platinum 5

Fine Arts:  Piano & violin lessons, Ballet III

Reading & Spelling:  B will read books from our home and the library including chapter books about people from American history, but also other "living books".  B will also continue working in Spelling Power.

8 comments:

  1. Looks great. I reconize some of our favorites.
    Blessings,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you've got some great choices here. CC seems to be very popular, you'll probably really love it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping by from the blog hop!

    We have that Great Artists book and we LOVE it!

    We use Story of the World 2 and Math U See as well! My girls will be in 4th and 6th grade this year.

    I can't wait to explore your blog a little more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish you the best for this year! I've heard many great things about CC!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I'm stopping by from the Heart of the Matter "not" back to school curriculum blog hop. Looks like you have some great stuff planned! We use Rosetta Stone Spanish, too!
    www.ireaddoyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard bits and pieces of Classical conversation...what, in your opinion is the reason you believe in it's effectiveness? Just curious - I've not had a chance to ask anyone who'd reviewed it. Have a wonderful year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi I am on Level 3 of Barton. How is it going for your son? I also have the RS math games. What games do you like best for + or -?
    m_wharton@yahoo.com
    Monica
    www.discovertheirgifts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you have a great year planned. Hope it is a blessed year.

    Kristie

    ReplyDelete