"Your Word is a light unto my feet and a lamp unto my path." Psalm 119:105

Hello and welcome! I'm a former elementary music educator, turned mom and home educator for more than 15 years. I have a passion for teaching, singing, and encouraging others along the way! Although I began blogging as a way to create a journal of our home education journey, I enjoy writing about a variety of topics related to home education, family, friends, and faith. I hope you enjoy journeying along with us!



Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Our School Areas

Our School Areas

We are blessed to have a dedicated area for our school work and some space in another multi-purpose room of our home.  It seems to be good for us to not be in the same room all day! LOL!  Although we read in other rooms, here are two of the main areas where we learn together.

Our basement school area is where we have a computer workstation and desk for each child.  We have our large white board there, too, for group learning and memory work.  We begin our school days here.  I have used workboxes for about three years now and they help the children to know what to do next, but since our Classical Conversations curriculum tends to have us study most subjects together, I did not use them as much last year.  We will see how useful they are this year because now the children are old enough to begin using a Student Planner.  I may need to revise how we use the workboxes.

Here is our map and whiteboard area with B's workboxes on the left and storage on the right:

From left to right, J's desk, bookshelf, J's workboxes, B's desk, and our old easel:

(My husband has a hobby of video editing, otherwise we would not have three screens for my son's computer area!)  The children practice typing, math drills, and they have a new computer based math curriculum this year.  We also use the computers for typing and editing all of their IEW writing assignments.  Both of their old touch screen workstations crashed or were not functioning correctly this summer, so we re-vamped these computer workstations:

Our basement is one large room but it is divided into three different sections by color and use. This is part of the family room /media center and this couch also serves as a comfy place for reading or studying:

We have always tried to brighten the basement up with color!  This is a zoomed out photo of our whole school area in the basement:

This is a stackable storage unit that holds supplies, math manipulatives, and a drawer for each child for me to hold any loose pages of work that are completed until I place them into their school year binder:

This is a plastic storage area of games, toys, and crafts:



Upstairs, we have a Sun Room with lots of windows!  (The basement only has one small window.)  Especially in the winter, it is a nice break to go upstairs and work on reading, spelling, and English grammar in the Sun Room. 


Last summer, my husband also helped me add shelves inside of this armoire and create a whole new storage area for the Sun Room.  You wouldn't know what was behind the doors at all if I didn't show you, right?  This cabinet holds so many items that I had stacked in corners of the room before.  Each child has their own basket of supplies and smaller items,too.  I love how this project turned out!

Thanks for touring our home school areas! This post is linked to the Not Back to School Blog Hop and Trivium Tuesdays so hop on over to see some more great blogs!

Rachel

3 comments:

  1. I love the secret armoire! What a great way to keep things convenient and keep the "home and not a SCHOOL" look for a main living space, which I am a big fan of!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great spaces! I used to have an armoire very similar to yours and I regret getting rid of it. I could have had my own secret storage spot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the shelves with the bins in them in your first picture. I'm slightly obsessed with those cube type shelves. Can I ask what kind of bins those are? I've been getting bins from target that fit my ikea shelf perfectly, but they have limited color options and I'm trying to find other brands that have other colors available (that are just the right size) =) Thanks for sharing your learning areas with us at Trivium Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete