"Your Word is a light unto my feet and a lamp unto my path." Psalm 119:105

Hello and welcome! I'm a former elementary music educator, turned mom and home educator for more than 15 years. I have a passion for teaching, singing, and encouraging others along the way! Although I began blogging as a way to create a journal of our home education journey, I enjoy writing about a variety of topics related to home education, family, friends, and faith. I hope you enjoy journeying along with us!



Monday, August 13, 2012

Curriculum for 2012-13, Cycle 1



Curriculum for 2012-13: Our 7th Year!

This will also be our 7th year of homeschooling since my oldest began Kindergarten.  Wow! How time flies when you are having fun.  I am thankful that I am still teaching my children and do not regret it one bit!  I am also linking this post with the "Not Back-to-School Blog Hop" and Trivium Tuesdays: Classical Link Up so go check them out!

We are excited to be participating in our second year of our Classical Conversations community!  Joining a brand new CC community last year was a huge blessing for our family and we are so excited to meet with our friends again soon.  We will be building our learning around our CC community Foundations and Essentials classes and I will tutor an Essentials class for the first time this year - more about that later!

Classical Conversations Foundations classes meet weekly for 24 weeks of the school year to practice lots of memory work in several different subject areas, do science and Fine Arts activities, short oral presentations, and just have some fun with other homeschoolers!  I will tutor one of the Essentials classes in the afternoon geared for 4th-6th graders where we will learn and practice English grammar, math facts, and writing skills.  We will be using the newest edition of the  CC Foundations Guide by Leigh Bortins.  All CC communities will be going through Cycle 1 this year, which focuses on Ancient civilizations and empires and will also include memory work in science, English grammar, world geography, Latin, Bible, and math. 
It's box day and our books are here!

Subjects that we study together:

With two children who are only 22 months apart, it has always worked well for us to study as many subjects together as we can.

Bible:  Kay Arthur's Discover 4 Yourself Series:  How to Study Your Bible for Kids , For Instruction in Righteousness from Doorposts for character studies, and Victor's Journey Through the Bible for historical information

History:  CC history sentences and timeline (including the new CC World Facts cards) and "living books" including Story of the World  and Mystery of History Volume 1 and some activities from the corresponding activity guides.  We also have the Kingfisher Encyclopedia of History and Streams of Civilization Volume 1 for reference.

Science:   Real Science 4 Kids Biology student text and Nature Log for Kids and Bird Log for Kids for nature walks.  We will also participate in a bi-monthly Latin & Science club with some other CC families.

Fine Arts:  CC Foundations lessons in drawing, great artists, great composers, and music theory with the tin whistle.  CC Resources include Drawing With Children, Great Artists, and Classical Music for Dummies

Literature:  We are going to try a new resource, the Veritas Press literature package from the New Testament / Greece & Rome history kit.  I am going to order the Homeschool Teacher's Manual and see what it is like.  We already have the history cards from our CC timeline last year. 

Foreign Language:  CC Foundations Latin memory work and Latin For Children lessons with our CC Latin and Science club.

Tutor resources for Essentials
Language Arts (Essentials class)Essentials of the English Language by Leigh Bortins will guide us through English grammar, language mechanics, and parsing sentences.  IEW Ancient History-Based Writing Lessons  along with Teaching Writing: Structure and Style will be the basis of our writing intruction.


J, 6th grade
6th grade books for J
J was officially diagnosed with dysgraphia (handwriting challenges) and dyslexia (reading & spelling challenges) over three years ago.  These choices reflect the resources that we have found to work best for him!

Math:  We are going to try a different math curriculum, so J will start with Teaching Textbooks Level 5 and I hope he can go into level 6 this year after filling in some gaps.  He will also review math memory work in CC and play math facts games in Essentials.  We like to use some games, online drills, and flashcards for practice.  I also signed the kids up for XtraMath for practicing mastery of their math facts!

Handwriting: Handwriting Without Tears Can-Do Print and scripture verses for copywork

Keyboarding:  Typing Instructor for Kids Platinum 5

Music:  piano lessons, Columbus Indiana Children's Choir

Reading & Spelling:  Barton Reading & Spelling System and some assigned reading from our library, the public library, and the Veritas Press and Memoria Press literature selections.

Health: How You are Changing Boys Edition and What's the Big Deal?


B, 4th grade

4th grade books for B
Math:  Teaching Textbooks 4 and CC math memory work, math games in Essentials,  Right Start Math Card Games kit, flashcards, and XtraMath for practice

Handwriting: Handwriting Without Tears Can-Do Cursive and scripture verse copywork

Keyboarding:  Typing Instructor for Kids Platinum 5

Fine Arts:  Piano lessons,  Ballet

Reading & Spelling:  Veritas Press and Memoria Press literature selections for reading and comprehension guides.  We are still deciding if B will work through another level of Spelling Power or try Spelling Workout and we are looking at the books this week.

Physical Fitness:  Gymnastics

Health:  How You Are Changing Girls Edition and What's the Big Deal?

3 comments:

  1. Hey Rachel, I'm Rachel too and also have my Elem degree, lol, never used mine (yet)! This is our first year, we are doing University Model schooling, which seems simlar to CC! and using A Beka books.. any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love 'meeting' other classical moms! I'm so happy to have you share with us at Trivium Tuesdays last week! It looks like you have a great line-up for this year. I hope you will be able to link-up more in the coming weeks, as I'd love to see how your school year goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel and Amy! I am excited to learn what other moms are doing with their classical home schools as well! I hope you both have a great start to your year!

      Delete