"Your Word is a light unto my feet and a lamp unto my path." Psalm 119:105

Hello and welcome! I'm a former elementary music educator, turned mom and home educator for more than 15 years. I have a passion for teaching, singing, and encouraging others along the way! Although I began blogging as a way to create a journal of our home education journey, I enjoy writing about a variety of topics related to home education, family, friends, and faith. I hope you enjoy journeying along with us!



Saturday, November 13, 2010

Creation to the Greeks, Week 11, Nov. 1-5, 2010

This week we finished up the story of Joseph in Genesis and began reading about Moses in Exodus.  We learned about other people coming into Egypt and taking over the rule.  We also learned about Queen Hatshepsut and the Pharoahs who were probably ruling while Moses was alive.

The clay pots from last week have dried and they came right out of the little margarine tubs that we used to shape them in.  We have not painted them, yet, but here they are:
J's pot had some small spirals on the inside and little cuts around the top edge

B made a pretty lid to fit her pot, it looks like a flower with a sculpted center knob and ruffly petals

This is the inside of her pot with more Egyptian types of geometric designs

We talked about how people began making obelisks in Egypt and B designed 4 obelisks on paper, one for each family dog we have had, including the one who has already passed away.  She started out making one for that dog, and then decided to make one for the other three that we still have in our menagerie.
Note the dog bones, leashes, and food dishes on the obelisks for our dogs!


We were all very interested in Election Day and the results.  We had interesting conversations about all of that.  B went to vote with me while J had a piano lesson, but they both usually go, so they are no strangers to the process.  I liked the touchscreen ballot and thought that it was really easy to use!

We also had two field trips planned.  On Thursday, we showed up for a tour of a local historic home and found out that it had been canceled, so one of the kids was crying and we went home and ate the lunches we had packed.  I normally check my e-mail, but my husband had the morning off and was asking for my help with something, the whole crew of workers were banging on the roof and installing the new one, and the kids needed to get some school work done, so I hadn't checked it.  After we ate our lunch, I decided to check my e-mail and then I found that as a "Plan B" our homeschool group was still meeting just to get together at another family's home.  So, we packed up and headed to their house and made some new friends!  It ended up being a nice time just re-connect with some friends, too.



Friday, we were able to tour a local food pantry and homeless shelter for families with children, called Anchor House.  Our 4H Club did a canned food drive a couple of weeks ago and I posted about it at the time.  We had planned on donating the food to this facility and then touring with the Director.  It was a very good experience for our family. I had heard about this place quite often, but didn't really understand what they provide until I visited there.  We also found out that they have a food pantry open to the public twice each week, in coordination with the other two local food pantries who cover the other weekdays.  I think my kids have a better appreciation for what we have and they will want to donate more to the Anchor House now that we have made that connection.

2 comments:

  1. Nice clay pots & obelisks! I'm looking forward to that week. We just completed our 9th week (or was it the 10th?). My brain is fried! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I always have to look at my TM to remember which week we are doing next! :)

    ReplyDelete