This year I feel like he is making great strides in reading and spelling, but the dysgraphia still makes writing hard and there is not a "program" for that. I was feeling frustrated later in the week, struggling with those doubts that come creeping in every once in awhile, and wondering if I am doing him a dis-service in keeping him at home for school? Am I really teaching him all that he needs to know? Would he work harder for someone else? And will he ever read and write independently? I talked to my sister about it over the weekend.
Monday morning, I read part of the book, "The Relationship Principles of Jesus" by Tom Holladay and I was reminded to pray confidently and specifically. I prayed that God would show me clearly over the next few days if homeschooling is still the best choice for J's learning. I also prayed that God would encourage me in our homeschooling this week. Not 10 minutes later, I went to the computer and checked on the HHH site to see who won the giveaways - and I was a WINNER! I actually won the Word Q + Speak Q package! I was so excited and awed that God was encouraging me right then, just after asking Him for it! I also felt that He was telling me in my heart, "Keep walking in this way and I will give you all that you need to teach these children." Not in an audible voice, but just in a knowing in my heart.
Although I don't have the software, yet, here is part of the description for it:
WordQ+SpeakQ software bundle is the first and only integrated word prediction and speech recognition tool available, designed for students (from 2nd grade to college) and others who struggle with writing. It was developed by a research team led by Dr. Fraser Shein of Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital in Toronto.
Built to enhance, and be more forgiving than, other applications, WordQ provides additional functionality to popular writing applications (e.g. Internet, Adobe, Microsoft Word and anywhere you can highlight and click), including word prediction, suggesting words that change depending on the context, and spoken feedback that allows users to hear their mistakes (e.g. run-on sentences, spelling and punctuation errors, etc). SpeakQ is a plug-in that builds on and enhances WordQ’s functions, adding speech recognition (speech-to-text functionality), working in spite of mild speech imperfections and accents.
A 30-day free trial of the software can be accessed at http://www.goqsoftware.com/try
I am sharing this story because I am sure that there are other mamas out there who are getting the midwinter blues and they also need to know that God is working out all the details if we trust in Him. I also am reminded that giving my son one-on-one tutoring, supportive technology, a teacher who can read aloud all of our unit study subjects, and a loving, caring teacher is so much more than he would be receiving in almost any other school setting. Thanks to God for reminding me that He has it all under control!

Very cool! God is so generous and has perfect timing :) Hope the new resources are a blessing!
ReplyDeleteHow encouraging, and with such perfect timing!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on winning the software bundle!! Love God's timing!!
ReplyDeleteHi Rachel,
ReplyDeleteI am following from the hop. Congratulations on your win and your encouragement from the Lord. How exciting! Sometimes when we start to question He has a way of leading us where we need to be. Thank you for sharing your story.
Kimberly
http://thehappyheartsacademy.blogspot.com
Rachel! What a beautiful post. How natural it is for us to doubt this 'crazy' decision of ours... but what you say is so right. God WILL equip you. And, I even know He can bring other adults into your circle of influence who will also fill in any blanks you think you may have. You are a wonderful mother and teacher! The hardest jobs in the world!
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comment about our 100th day. It WAS fun!!! I love the A A Apple song. The kids LIGHT UP when we sing it.... I will just have to keep singing it with them over the years!
It makes me smile to picture you saying Obey right away, neigh!
love to you and your family!