It's been a very unusual week. A friend and former music teacher of mine passed away last weekend. I was honored to take part in the services to celebrate her life by directing her own choir! To make it even more complicated, her son-in-law is a partner with my husband and so my husband was much busier this week at work, too, and is now exhausted. I am thankful that he doesn't have to work this weekend and can get some rest. I wrote more about this in the previous post on my blog.
In our homeschool this week...
Well, our schedule was all messed up this week with a field trip all day on Tuesday and the funeral on Thursday morning, but both were valuable learning experiences for the children. So, we haven't gotten everything on the list checked off this week, but I did get caught up in our Bible and history readings and notebook pages. This week we studied more about the end of King Saul's life, how David finally became Israel's king, the Phonecians, and the Phonecian alphabet. We also did a science experiment where we "made fossils". Here is what we did:
 |
| We covered the bottom of a pie pan with non-drying clay and then pressed objects into it. |
 |
| We took the objects out of the clay and mixed plaster of paris in another pie pan. |
 |
| We poured the plaster over the clay impressions. |
 |
| We smoothed the plaster out and let it dry. |
 |
| We bent the edges of the pie pan and the plaster peeled off of the clay really well. Now we have "fossils"! |
B began reading a Geronimo Stilton book this week, called
Geronimo's Valentine. She loves it and keeps asking to read more after her reading time in our schedule is over! She was getting bored with chapter books that don't have any illustrations or color. The Geronimo Stilton books are funny stories with some colorful, humorous illustrations and she is enjoying this book!
Places we're going and people we're seeing...
My favorite thing this week was...
Somehow we got to go do something "fun" and educational almost every day this week! Nearing the end of a long, cold winter it is really nice to just get "out and about"! I enjoyed time with other adults and I enjoyed watching both of my children interact with younger kids that they did not even know and help them with an activity! I love it that my children are used to interaction with people of all ages and don't think that they are "too cool" to make a new friend that is much younger than their peers.
What's working/not working for us...
I wrote about my son's discouragement in math last week... on Monday we had tears. We did not do math on Tuesday because of a field trip. So I used another strategy on Wednesday. I didn't even have him open his math book, but I took a peek at it and wrote two of the equations from his new lesson on the white board and we worked through them together - no tears! Then I just had him review math facts. This white board approach has worked in the past, so I think we will just do a small number of them each day, with some review and eventually I will have him do the writing on the board before I have him do it in the workbook. I think placing each step in a different color helps him to see what he is doing, too. On our field trip, I was able to talk to my friend who uses the same curriculum. It was reassuring to know that another family found this particular concept something that took their student more time, as well!
Homeschool questions/thoughts I have...
I am re-asking this question from last week. Do any of you have children who have diagnosed learning disabilities and have you ever thought about re-testing them to see if they have made progress in the academic areas? That is the only formal testing that my son has done and homeschooled children are not allowed to take our regular state standardized tests. It has been two years and I would like to get a more measured look at his growth and what "holes" we still need to work on. Although it may not be necessary, would it be helpful to have the same type of assessment or should I just choose another standarized educational assessment? He was previously tested with the WISC-IV, WIAT-2, and Beery.
A photo, video, link, or quote to share...
 |
| We all had a fun time at Wonderlab! |
Thanks for stopping by today!
ReplyDeleteWe are also using MFW. I'm currently using three levels-K, 1, and ECC. It's eating my lunch! I LOVE the lower levels but I don't feel like I'm doing the upper level justice.
I'm so happy to find someone who has experience with MFW. I'm going to have to come back and "pick your brain" sometime soon.
Thanks so much for your encouraging comment on my blog about testing for learning disabilities. I am finally to the point where I just want to know what we're dealing with. Before I kept hoping that it was immaturity and that he'd grow out of it. I was in denial. I've realized for a while now that he had a real problem. I think my husband has finally come to that point too.
ReplyDeleteIt looks like you had a great week. We love field trips!