"Your Word is a light unto my feet and a lamp unto my path." Psalm 119:105

Hello and welcome! I'm a former elementary music educator, turned mom and home educator for more than 15 years. I have a passion for teaching, singing, and encouraging others along the way! Although I began blogging as a way to create a journal of our home education journey, I enjoy writing about a variety of topics related to home education, family, friends, and faith. I hope you enjoy journeying along with us!



Monday, May 30, 2011

Our Homeschool Journal, May 30. 2011

Hello friends!  I am linking up this post with my friends at The Homeschool Mother's Journal and the Hip Homeschool Hop.  Please check out some other great blogs by clicking these links! 


In my life this week...
I have been trying to wrap up our school year and work on decisions about curriculum for next year.  I have had fun learning how to use my new Nook that my husband gave me as a belated Mother's Day gift!  (We could not go shopping for it that weekend and he wanted to make sure that I got the one that I wanted.)

In our homeschool this week…
Wow! It was so nice to start winding down our school year! We just worked on reviewing Bible memory verses, handwriting, finishing our math books, reading, and musical instrument practice this week.  I also finished reading Amon's Adventure (that we started as a Lenten reading) and The Magic Tree House Hour of the Olympics to wrap up our studies of ancient Greece.  Both books were fun and engaging.  I never tire of hearing the creative ways in which Arnold Ytreeide weaves his fictional characters into Biblical accounts of real history.  Amon's Adventure was a very creative way to read about the life of Jesus and his death and resurrection. I hope to have our End-of-the-School-Year celebration soon!

Places we're going and people we're seeing...
We went to the lake and enjoyed time on the boat with family and friends over the holiday weekend.  On Friday and Saturday it was cool, but Sunday felt like summer!  I am ready for some sunshine and warm weather.  Hopefully the water will be warming up more soon, too.
B and her cousins had fun tubing!

My favorite thing this week was...
Relaxing and spending family time on the boat!

Boys will be boys - even the Dads still enjoy tubing!
What's working/not working for us...
Keeping a structured routine or schedule really helps us!  Everyone in our home gets irritable when we don't have a direction for each day, so I need to plan out our routines for our summer days.  I also need to choose a reward system for summer "school" work, especially the required reading/spelling tutoring that I need to continue with J.  He really does not want to work on that during the summer, but I want to continue moving forward toward completion of the program this coming school year and not waste 3 months of time.

How do you "take off" from school during the summer, but also continue neccesary things? Do any of you have a great idea for rewarding this work during the summer?

Homeschool questions/thoughts I have...
I have spent time this week deciding what to do about Language Arts for next year and I decided to register the children for the Classical Conversations Essentials program next year, in addition to the Foundation program that we signed up for a month ago. I have read some comments from other people on blogs or message boards that intimidated me about using the Essentials curriculum with my dyslexic child.  However, I was reassured by our state director that the CC Essentials material can be adapted for a wide variety of levels and learning styles.  I think it will be helpful to me to learn how to teach English grammar and composition with a group of other families and I think that having a larger audience for my children's written work will be motivational!

A photo, video, link, or quote to share...

 Summer time is finally here!

My self-portrait on the boat

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rachel, I am stopping by from the HMJ linky. I am most interested in trying the books by Arnold Ytreeide; they sound so interesting! We are doing hoemschool year round this year. It gives (my kids) more direction and helps my boys keep their skills much better than if we take summer off. We like to travel and so by doing year round we never get "behind" even when we take trips here and there. loved finding your blog though the linky! katie

    ReplyDelete