"Your Word is a light unto my feet and a lamp unto my path." Psalm 119:105

Hello and welcome! I'm a former elementary music educator, turned mom and home educator for more than 15 years. I have a passion for teaching, singing, and encouraging others along the way! Although I began blogging as a way to create a journal of our home education journey, I enjoy writing about a variety of topics related to home education, family, friends, and faith. I hope you enjoy journeying along with us!



Friday, September 23, 2011

Our Homeschool Journal, September 18, 2011

The Homeschool Mother's Journal


 In my life this week...
Sunday we were able to go boating again on the lake and had a relaxing afternoon.  That evening we attended our neighborhood cookout and had a fun time.  Then the crazy week began!  We began Classical Conversations and J's Children's Choir rehearsal (with a parent meeting) on Monday.  Leaving the house at 8am and not getting home until around 8pm was tiring!  Tuesday was not as busy, Wednesday we began our midweek activities at church and I began leading choir rehearsals again, and Thursday B had ballet.  Friday we went on a really cool field trip (see below) and that evening the kids went with friends to a football game, while we went to an event to celebrate the 100th anniversary of our hospital - complete with fireworks!  Saturday I had to take J to his choir uniform fitting and get everything ready for my 20th high school class reunion and then I was there for the entire evening, while my husband had to attend a 10 year reunion for his residency class out of town.  I directed the choir at church this morning and kept dozing off during the Colts game, wonder why?  Maybe this week will be a bit less hectic!
Driving lessons from Captain Daddy

In our homeschool this week…
We had our very first Classical Conversations Foundations and Essentials classes last Monday!  If you look at my last post, it will describe our day in detail.  It was incredible to finally begin tutoring my Foundations class and we had a fun morning together.  The rest of the week also went fairly smoothly, but I am still trying to find my "groove" of how to schedule our day and week.  We found the memory work to be fun and not hard to review with hand motions, review games, chants, and songs.  This is definitely not boring memory work!

CC boys working on their drawing lesson for art
CC girls doing our first science activity


Playing place value math games in Essentials

Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
We had the opportunity for the children to attend school at an old, refurnished one-room schoolhouse on a field trip on Friday!  They had a memorable day, wearing old-fashioned clothes, listening to the sweet school marm.  She rang the bell to begin the school day, had them stand when they were called upon, had them help make real butter and then taste it for a snack, fold paper cups for their water, and play some old-fashioned games outside during recess.  It was definitely a nostalgic Little House on the Prairie moment for me!
Our school marm and class

At the end of a fun day at the One Room Schoolhouse


What’s working/not working for us…
This week went well, I am just trying to figure out what I have time to add in as "extra" for science, history, and geography for fun!

I’m reading…
The Light and The Glory For Children:  Discovering God's Plan for America by Peter Marshall

A photo, video, link, or quote to share…
New backpacks that we will really use every week for CC classes!

1 comment:

  1. Have a great weekend Enjoy the post and pics

    ReplyDelete