"Your Word is a light unto my feet and a lamp unto my path." Psalm 119:105

Hello and welcome! I'm a former elementary music educator, turned mom and home educator for more than 15 years. I have a passion for teaching, singing, and encouraging others along the way! Although I began blogging as a way to create a journal of our home education journey, I enjoy writing about a variety of topics related to home education, family, friends, and faith. I hope you enjoy journeying along with us!



Thursday, November 24, 2022

Connecting to God through Giving Thanks

 



 

The American Thanksgiving holiday is here and many of us are busy with preparations for celebrating with friends and family.  I am personally thankful for a week with both of our kids back at home from college!  It is rare for all four of us to be living under one roof for a few days and I treasure this time together!  I don’t have to check my phone for their text messages or wait until they have time to talk on the phone, because they are right here with me, and I can talk to them in person.  We have enjoyed sharing meals, watching a movie, laughing at each other’s stories, watching football and basketball games on TV, and just being at home together. 

 

When we are near each other, it is easier to connect.  My relationship with God is like this, too.  When I am reading His Word and regularly talking to Him in prayer, I feel a connection to Him.  I think of Him throughout the day, and I talk to Him.  He is near to me in spirit, through the everyday challenges and joys of my life.  When I see something beautiful, I can tell Him.  When I become afraid, angry, or sad, I can tell Him about that, as well.  My connection to God keeps coming back to my mind throughout the day. 

 

Giving thanks requires an action of “giving”.  “To give” is a verb, so “Thanksgiving” is named after an action of giving thanks to God for the blessings He has given to us.  When we offer our thanks to Him, we come closer to His love and mercy for us.  When we recognize what God has done to rescue us from sin and death, we become more aware of how much grace He has given us to thank Him for.  We can open our hearts and our minds to grow in our relationship with God.

 

Thanksgiving can be a time for fun traditions like making special holiday dishes, watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade on TV, festive holiday meals, games, and beginning to decorate for Christmas.  Even in the joyful business of this season, may we each take time to remember to give thanks to God for His incredible gift of salvation through Jesus, for family, for friends, and for the many blessings in our lives today.  Let’s not forget our connection to God and the many reasons that we can give Him thanks today. 

 

“Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth.  Worship the Lord with gladness; come before him with joyful songs.  Know that the Lord is God.  It is he who made us, and we are his people; the sheep of his pasture.  Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise give thanks to him and praise his name.  For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations.”  Psalm 100


 

 

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful devotional for today, and many for each day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great reminder of the importance of staying close to God and having a spirit of gratitude in our hearts. Thank you for sharing this post, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane! I hope you had a blessed Thanksgiving.

      Delete