"Your Word is a light unto my feet and a lamp unto my path." Psalm 119:105

Hello and welcome! I'm a former elementary music educator, turned mom and home educator for more than 15 years. I have a passion for teaching, singing, and encouraging others along the way! Although I began blogging as a way to create a journal of our home education journey, I enjoy writing about a variety of topics related to home education, family, friends, and faith. I hope you enjoy journeying along with us!



Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Simmons One-Room Schoolhouse

A couple of weeks ago we had a fun day visiting a charming, one-room schoolhouse.  It was a field trip organized by a friend from our Classical Conversations Community.  We talked about how it was a great trip to begin our year of learning about American history and how children used to learn in America.  The school marm was sweet and kind and had a fun sense of humor! She was so well-prepared and in character.  She led the children through lessons, fun games, and folding paper into cups. The children shook jars to make real butter that they had on crackers.  They also dipped pens in ink to practice their penmanship!

Since the children in our group are all home educated, it was fun for them to be in a school building. However, it was not a change for them to learn alongside younger or older brothers and sisters.  We already have a one-room school where each family member is included during school time, as much as possible.  This model does make sense because of the repetition that all of the children are able to receive by hearing things they have already learned, recited by the younger children, and things that they have not yet comprehended as the older students work.

I have already seen how this benefits my children while my younger child is learning her multiplication facts quickly after hearing her brother skip count and work on them.  He also asks for her help in remembering how to spell or read a word from time to time.  The Classical model of education works well because it allows for lots of repetition of material to "sink in" before students are expected to master or think at a higher level about that topic.  I am thankful that we have had this approach throughout  our journey of home education and that we now have a stronger emphasis on using the Classical methods of teaching and learning in our home.  Here are more photos from our day at the Simmons Schoolhouse.

Meeting "Mrs. Johnson"


lining up to go inside, boys and girls

The boys' side of the classroom

Lessons on the chalkboard
The girls' side of the classroom
Primers and readers

The children brought old-fashioned lunches

Penmanship supplies

We went back into time to September, 1892.

Playing games at recess

Tin cups for water
Our school for the day

The old water pump

 I'm linking up this post about our fun trip to the Hip Homeschool Hop!  "Hop" on over and join the fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment