Our small town has a fantastic Oktoberfest each year on the first weekend of October! We look forward to it and have a day off of school to celebrate autumn. We eat yummy, unhealthy foods like walking tacos, grilled meat on a stick, huge tenderloin sandwiches, pizza boats, deep fried mozzarella sticks, and homemade apple dumplings - not all at one setting, but spread out over three days!
We also enjoy visiting with friends and being outside while the weather is still nice. The kids like to ride the carnival rides and play games there. We also usually try a few times to win a cake at the cakewalk. I used to bake six, double layered, iced cakes for this cakewalk when I was an active sorority member, but now we just support the cakewalk by our participation at the fest. This year I won a cake on my first try and B chose a strawberry cake with pink icing and purple sprinkles!
The kids also make crafts at an area where they have rock painting, a coloring contest, and placemats to make and take home.
We enjoy listening to the roving musicians playing German instruments!
This year was probably the first year we had to miss the annual parade on Saturday of the Oktoberfest. We missed watching the bands, dancers, clowns, horses, and princesses go by, but the Nutcracker rehearsal took precedence.
Oktoberfest comes and goes by too quickly, but we now have more fun memories of this annual tradition!
"Your Word is a light unto my feet and a lamp unto my path." Psalm 119:105
Hello and welcome! I'm a former elementary music educator, turned mom and home educator for more than 15 years. I have a passion for teaching, singing, and encouraging others along the way! Although I began blogging as a way to create a journal of our home education journey, I enjoy writing about a variety of topics related to home education, family, friends, and faith. I hope you enjoy journeying along with us!
Saturday, October 8, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment