"Your Word is a light unto my feet and a lamp unto my path." Psalm 119:105

Hello and welcome! I'm a former elementary music educator, turned mom and home educator for more than 15 years. I have a passion for teaching, singing, and encouraging others along the way! Although I began blogging as a way to create a journal of our home education journey, I enjoy writing about a variety of topics related to home education, family, friends, and faith. I hope you enjoy journeying along with us!



Monday, October 24, 2011

Our Homeschool Journal - October, 24, 2011


The Homeschool Mother's Journal In my life this week…
Yippee for Fall Break!  We normally take off only a day or two in the fall, but this year we were able to travel with my husband to his conference in West Virginia and stay at the historic Greenbrier Resort!  So we had a longer break and our Classical Conversations community is having a week off from classes, too, so the timing couldn't have been better!  We enjoyed the drive through the hills and watched the turning leaves.  We went bowling, swimming, and ate WAY too much fantastic food!

After our return home, we got unpacked and I took a whole day to sort out old clothes from J's closet and clean his room.  Ahh!  It feels spacious and fairly organized again!  Friday, we had a fun field trip to an apple orchard and pumpkin patch.  Then this weekend, J had a Choral Festival and concert, B had a birthday party and ballet rehearsal to attend, and we all were invited to an annual chili cook-off.  Fall is in full swing!

In our homeschool this week…
We relaxed, had fun, and learned while we were traveling!  We enjoyed the fall foliage and identified trees on the grounds one day.  Many of the trees has signs on them so it made for easy identification.  We also made some leaf rubbings in our notebooks and collected loads of buckeyes!  I mentioned above that the Greenbrier is historic - the area has been popular since sulphur springs were discovered there in 1778!  We enjoyed touring the hotel, and Artist's Colony, the President's Cottage Museum, and the secret Bunker that was built underneath the Greenbrier during the Cold War to house Congress! 


My favorite thing this week was…
Lots of family time with all four of us!  It was wonderful to be all together when D was not in meetings!  We also enjoyed a visit from D's cousin from Roanoke, Virginia while we were there.  She is a lot of fun and we all enjoyed getting to know one another better.

Questions/thoughts I have…
Sue asked how many of us are following the Classical method of home education.  We are enjoying our focus on Classical education this year!  As I continue to learn about this educational method, I am even more convinced that this is a great way to learn - and I am learning alongside the children! 

I’m cooking… well, eating...
The Apple Bread and apples from Appleworks.  I can't say that I baked it myself, but it is yummy!  Do any of you have a great Apple Bread recipe?  I have only made Banana Bread, but they are quite similar.


A photo, video, link, or quote to share…
B is already stealing hearts!  This is a little friend she entertained at the chil cookoff.  I think I see babysitting in her future!

Please join me and other homeschooling families at Sue's blog hop The Homeschool Mother's Journal!

No comments:

Post a Comment