"Your Word is a light unto my feet and a lamp unto my path." Psalm 119:105

Hello and welcome! I'm a former elementary music educator, turned mom and home educator for more than 15 years. I have a passion for teaching, singing, and encouraging others along the way! Although I began blogging as a way to create a journal of our home education journey, I enjoy writing about a variety of topics related to home education, family, friends, and faith. I hope you enjoy journeying along with us!



Friday, June 1, 2012

It's June! THMJ



It's June and Summer is Here!


Written by Rachel, June 1, 2012

In my life this week…
Aaaah!  It's summer.  We had a great Memorial Day with family on the lake.  I have been catching up on my to-do list this week getting some things done that I have been putting off.  That is always a great feeling!

I also had to make a decision about what type of class I am going to tutor next year in our homeschool Classical Conversations community.  I loved the morning Foundations class that I taught last year and it was right up my alley with music, art, games, songs, etc. for the memory work and I feel so comfortable with it now.  However, a tutor is moving so there is a spot to fill and now I feel like the Lord is wanting me to step out in faith and teach the afternoon language arts class called "Essentials" for 4th-6th graders next year. I already worked through all of the material with my own kids at home this year, so it is not all new, I just have to figure out how to present it for the children and parents each week in class!  I hope to also add in some more fun and active ways to learn the material.  It should be exciting!

In our homeschool this week…
We completed the  Stanford standardized test!  B completed it last week and J completed his on Tuesday.  By the end of the testing, they were both calm and knew what to do and sat at the table getting the test done on their own!  I can already see that they learned from the experience.  They learned how to take a test and not panic (like they did the first two days), they learned that they really could answer most of the questions, and they learned how to fill in those silly bubble answer sheets.  It really was great practice for them for in the future.  I hope that the results also help me to select math and reading materials for next year.



We signed up for the library's summer reading program and we are going to be reading more this month.  I hope to build up the amount of time that the kids think they can read.  Right now they want to quit after 15 minutes, so if they can get used to reading for 30 min. at a time over the summer that would be great!  I also hope to help them just enjoy reading for fun and not see it as an assignment.  We also finished reading aloud a retelling of the Pilgrim's Progress.  The kids loved it!  I was glad to share this story with them.

Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
Although my hubby worked hard all weekend, he was able to take off Memorial Day on Monday and we had a great day at the lake with his brother's family.  The kids - small and big - enjoyed the new tube!

My guys, having fun!
I am reading ...
I picked up a copy of The Help at our library and it has drawn me in!  I love it when an author can create a voice inside my own imagination for a character in the book.  I am trying to read something for fun that is not school related... although I keep eyeing those curriculum catalogs! :)

I am also enjoying my Proverbs 31 Bible study discussion group and sent out some short e-mails this week to encourage my little group!

I am working on...
This week I finished writing a post called 5 Tutoring Tips.  I am going to write more posts this month about our first year of Classical Conversations.

I am grateful for...
June!  My favorite month of the year is here with warm, but not sweltering temperatures, a break from school work, time outdoors, and time to have fun with friends and family!

My favorite thing this week was…
When I was waiting for a confirming Word from the Lord on my decision about tutoring for next year, I finally read Isaiah 41:13 in my devotional book, Jesus Calling. This clinched the decision for me!

 "For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you."  Isaiah 41:13



Hop on over to the Hip Homeschool Hop or The Homeschool Mother's Journal. Have a great week!
Rachel

2 comments:

  1. Hooooray for warm weather! :) your kids are SO adorable! and so glad you had an amazing holiday with your family! have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been tubing, but it looks like so much fun! Thanks for stopping by! The Outdoor Challenge isn't really about tracking outdoor time vs. screen time. It's just what I did the first week to see. It's more about simply getting outside and it looks like you do that! LOL

    ReplyDelete