"Your Word is a light unto my feet and a lamp unto my path." Psalm 119:105

Hello and welcome! I'm a former elementary music educator, turned mom and home educator for more than 15 years. I have a passion for teaching, singing, and encouraging others along the way! Although I began blogging as a way to create a journal of our home education journey, I enjoy writing about a variety of topics related to home education, family, friends, and faith. I hope you enjoy journeying along with us!



Wednesday, September 5, 2012

A Long Labor Day Weekend!



Written by Rachel, September 4, 2012

In my life this week…
Since we enjoyed a long holiday weekend, I am just now writing about the last week of August!  We took off Thursday and Friday to make it an extra long weekend and spent time on the boat with Daddy.  We know that summer is drawing to a close and we appreciate our time there even more!

We also enjoyed time with my family for a birthday party for my niece!  It was fun to see my sister that lives out of town and her family .  Her son, my 14 month old nephew, is changing so much right now!  Being an aunt really is fun!  On Labor Day I helped my sister bake about 50 rainbow cupcakes - all the layers took a long time, but the effect was great!
Rainbow cupcakes
Can you see the rainbow layers?
My "pirate" - trying to look fierce and not laugh!

My pirate and my littlest nephew

The birthday pirate tries to blow out her candles without scorching her hair!

In our homeschool this week…
We are doing well in the "basics" and took off Thursday and Friday to spend some late summer days on our boat with Daddy!  We still have a more flexible schedule until we begin our Classical Conversations weekly program until next week.

Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…
My husband told me a long time ago at the beginning of the school year, "You don't have to have the entire year ready on the first day!"  I am reminding myself of this again as I prepare for tutoring Essentials for the first time next week!  Preparation is extremely important, but this is so true.  I do not have to stress if I am ready for the first day and first week or two.  While I lean on God to help me, I am more productive and have peace!

My favorite thing this week was…
We are pleased that B is joining her brother in the CICC Concert Choir this year!  She was so nervous for her audition, but it went really well and I am glad that she is able to join the same choir as her older brother so they can have the same rehearsal and concert schedule and she can still take ballet and be in the Nutcracker (she has to take those classes on Tuesdays, when the beginning choir meets). It feels good to have all of this arranged and worked out now for our schedule!

I am reading ...
My Essentials of the English Language and IEW Ancient History-Based Writing Lessons - exciting stuff!  ;)  This is in preparation for tutoring Essentials.

I am working on...
Last week I was working on my presentation at the Essentials Parent Meeting and it went well!  I think it was encouraging to the new and returning moms.  Now I am working more on my lesson plans and getting a few fun odds and ends together for class!  I am also planning a reward system for our memory work and writing assignments.

I am grateful for...
Blessings of family and friends!

I am praying for...
... changes and transitions in all of the ministries at our church that are preparing for our fall Wednesday night program, including my new 4th-8th grade choir - the Crescendo Choir!  I hope to reach out to this age group and help them learn about praising God through song.  I am praying that the changes in my volunteer responsibilities at church will be positive and will "lighten my load" a bit.  We also need prayer specifically for our music ministry team while we no longer have an Interim Director of Worship.  We have a talented team of volunteers that work together well, but this is a time of transition and we being our fall program next week! 

A photo, video, link, or quote to share…
Philippians 4:4-8 "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!  Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.  Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.  Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you."
 




Hop on over to the Hip Homeschool Hop or The Homeschool Mother's Journal and Weekly Wrap-up.  Have a great week!
Rachel

1 comment: