During our CC Essentials language arts class each year, we work on a research project during the second semester. Students select a historical figure (or sometimes a living person) to research and write an essay about and we call this our "Faces of History" project. After a few weeks of preparation and writing, the students dress in costume and share their papers during class. It's amazing to hear some of the children read while in costume that have been reluctant to share all year! The students and parents enjoy hearing all of the presentations.
This year, we tried a new event the week after our presentation day with our "Hall of History Wax Museum". I arranged all of the students (and some parents who wanted to partcipate) in order of their birth, so that guests could walk through our "museum" timeline. Each "statue" could choose to draw a "button" on their hand for the guests to press so they would come to life and give a few facts about who they were presenting. It was a fun day with a big response from the community. The students were excited to have so many parents and students come visit our museum! We did this event during lunch so it did not take up class time and everyone on campus was available to come visit. We will definitely do this again next year!
"Your Word is a light unto my feet and a lamp unto my path." Psalm 119:105
Hello and welcome! I'm a former elementary music educator, turned mom and home educator for more than 15 years. I have a passion for teaching, singing, and encouraging others along the way! Although I began blogging as a way to create a journal of our home education journey, I enjoy writing about a variety of topics related to home education, family, friends, and faith. I hope you enjoy journeying along with us!
No comments:
Post a Comment