"Your Word is a light unto my feet and a lamp unto my path." Psalm 119:105

Hello and welcome! I'm a former elementary music educator, turned mom and home educator for more than 15 years. I have a passion for teaching, singing, and encouraging others along the way! Although I began blogging as a way to create a journal of our home education journey, I enjoy writing about a variety of topics related to home education, family, friends, and faith. I hope you enjoy journeying along with us!



Friday, July 4, 2014

Indpendence Day Reading

Happy 4th of July!  We love American history!  Although we have enjoyed learning about worldwide history, the kids really enjoy the history of our own country the most.  I think that is natural, because it applies the most to us, where we live and travel, and our culture today.  We've been home educating long enough that we have already focused our studies on American history during two other school years in the past and now we have this great collection of books going into the coming year of Classical Conversations Cycle 3, which is all about.... U.S. history!

I want to share some of our favorites with you for this week or anytime you are studying the history of our wonderful nation and it's birth on Independence Day.  These are books about the Revolutionary War and the birth of our country and our flag that are fun for reading aloud to younger children or independent reading for older children.  Enjoy a fabulous 4th of July today!

The Fourth of July Story by Alice Dalgliesh


The Story of America's Birthday by Patricia A. Pingry

Red, White, and Blue: The Story of the American Flag by John Herman

If You Were There When They Signed the Constitution by Elizabeth Levy

The Magic Tree House:  Revolutionary War on Wednesday by Mary Pope Osborne


and American Revolution: A Nonfiction Companion to Revolutionary War on Wednesday (Magic Tree Houe Ressearch Guides) by Mary Pope Osborne and Natalie Pope Boyce






1 comment:

  1. Great suggestions! We are starting CC this year, so I've been pulling out all of our early America books. My son likes Magic Tree House, so I'll have to pick up those two at library. Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete