Here we are, at the end of another year of Classical Conversations! I can't believe how fast the time seems to fly by me! As I prepare the End of Year slideshow, my heart is super thankful for this new community. I just love looking through all of the photos of the fun activities we have enjoyed together.
The students have learned so much information and the world opens up to them a little more with each fact that is memorized. During our next to the last week of Foundations, it was so exciting to hear a boy who had struggled with the memory work say, "I'm getting smarter" as he correctly identified geographical land features on his map during Week 23! His light bulb was turning on and he was learning that he CAN learn! Looking through the slideshow reminded me of the games and songs we used to learn the memory work, as well as the drawings, tin whistle songs, paintings, classical composers listening lessons, science experiments and labs, human body studies, and oral presentations that we enjoyed together.
The children have learned a ton, but the parents have learned even more. I am also proud of how I have seen families step up to serve one another this year when there were trials and challenges for some of us. Even on community days, I saw friends help each other out with cleaning and working with the students in class or playing games together. I have seen parents start to use and understand the classical model, as they tutor or help in a classroom. The parents have grown in their relationships with each other and serving one another, in a Christian community, as well as in teaching their own children at home.
As a first year director, I have continued to learn how to train tutors, but I can see how God prepared me for this in past years. As I walked alongside fellow tutors and taught them about the tin whistle and orchestra and Essentials while I was a tutor in our previous community. I was intimidated about organizing a group of people and somehow creating something wonderful, but with CC's model and guide, the training and help of my awesome Support Manager, and by the grace of God I can say that I did it. I am thankful for all that God provides for me through CC to create a home school community of friends here in my own hometown.
My own children have grown in their academic abilities this year, but they have also grown in character. They have both persevered and worked hard at different things that were not easy for each of them. They have both stayed the course and come out successfully at the end, not only gaining knowledge, but also growing in their spirits.
As I reflect upon the past, I am thankful that I have seen growth in our new community of students and parents. I am hopeful as I look toward the future and make plans for another year. I am blessed as I enjoy the present!
"Your Word is a light unto my feet and a lamp unto my path." Psalm 119:105
Hello and welcome! I'm a former elementary music educator, turned mom and home educator for more than 15 years. I have a passion for teaching, singing, and encouraging others along the way! Although I began blogging as a way to create a journal of our home education journey, I enjoy writing about a variety of topics related to home education, family, friends, and faith. I hope you enjoy journeying along with us!
No comments:
Post a Comment