In less than one month our world has changed. We were watching the Coronavirus spread across Asia and Europe about a month ago and in the last two weeks, guidelines and requirements have been changing daily or even more frequently. Suddenly, almost all public events and gatherings have been cancelled or postponed indefinitely. The whole world is trying to figure out how to stay safe and healthy and how to stop the spread of this COVID-19 virus to ourselves and to others. We don't know if we have it or have come into contact with it, that's how viral infections work! Some people have dangerous symptoms that could potentially be devastating, but some people who have tested positively thought they felt fine. In the last week, almost all schools and universities have closed and are transitioning to online classes.
On March 12, we flew to St. Petersburg, Florida the first Grand Prix of the Indycar 2020 racing season. We were with our friend and Indycar driver on Friday when he heard the news that Sunday's race was cancelled. Our son's university first announced that they would be extending spring break and moving to online classes for two weeks, but that has changed to the rest of the school year. Our nephews, along with many other seniors around the country, have already heard that their commencement ceremonies in May are cancelled. Our daughter, who has been showing horses in Florida this winter, has had her season end early. We have friends who children have had to change or postpone celebrations of wedding plans, as well.
Yes, these are very strange times. I start to feel anxious and afraid when I can barely keep up with the newest guidelines - gatherings of no more than 250 people, to 50 people, and now, no more than 10 people. Two weeks ago, I sang with less than 10 people from our worship team on Sunday to do a Facebook live recorded worship service for our church family, who cannot attend. The following week, I helped my stepdad watch the service on a Zoom meeting online. My mother also had to have surgery and stay in the hospital for four days without any visitors at all. It's been challenging to face the unknown when it really is unknown for everyone in healthcare, economy, industry, hospitality, education, finance, and government. This pandemic reaches all people around the globe in all sectors and all areas of life.
My husband and I were talking the other day about how the closest feeling we have had to this experience was when the Twin Towers fell on 9/11. Then we started thinking of other times of crisis in our country throughout our lives. We have seen wars begin and end, terrorism, other deadly viruses, the fear of what might happen with Y2K, recessions, and changes in many areas of life. When we look back, we can see how well God has provided for our needs. We have hope. We know that we serve a might God and ultimately, He will prevail. We cannot see how this will work out in the future and we are really living a day at a time, but we are thankful that we have information to help slow the spreading of this terrible virus. We are thankful for many people who are trying to come together to help those in need during this difficult time. We pray that this virus will be slowed and stopped and few lives taken with it.
I felt the need to journal this experience on my blog here, but it has taken some time for me to process it all. In the coming days, I hope that I can share more positive and encouraging stories, tips, or ideas to help you during this difficult time.
"Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." Psalm 91:1-2
"Your Word is a light unto my feet and a lamp unto my path." Psalm 119:105
Hello and welcome! I'm a former elementary music educator, turned mom and home educator for more than 15 years. I have a passion for teaching, singing, and encouraging others along the way! Although I began blogging as a way to create a journal of our home education journey, I enjoy writing about a variety of topics related to home education, family, friends, and faith. I hope you enjoy journeying along with us!
Wednesday, April 1, 2020
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment