We have learned more about ancient Egypt over the last couple of weeks. It's been a fun change of pace and it is so fascinating to study it alongside our Bible history to get a true perspective of what was going on at that time. One of the children was particularly afraid of mummies, but did enjoy other pyramid activities, especially when it involved Legos!! Hooray for Legos! They made the history lessons so much more fun this week! Of course the Lego pyramids had to have "Pharoah" buried underneath them.
We also talked about how the Egyptian people could have built these pyramids, how they got rock out of the quarry, ferried it along the river, and somehow moved these heavy loads to the building site. We did some science experiments from a book about pyramids to learn more about friction and levers.
We also did an experiment about the strength of a pyramid versus a cube with structures made of drinking straws and clay. They didn't hold up to the kids pushing on them, but the pyramids shapes lasted longer.
We love books, but I am also thankful for true, "hands-on" learning activities! Oh, and I almost forgot to tell you that we re-enacted the union of Upper and Lower Egypt complete with King Menes and a red and white crown!
"Your Word is a light unto my feet and a lamp unto my path." Psalm 119:105
Hello and welcome! I'm a former elementary music educator, turned mom and home educator for more than 15 years. I have a passion for teaching, singing, and encouraging others along the way! Although I began blogging as a way to create a journal of our home education journey, I enjoy writing about a variety of topics related to home education, family, friends, and faith. I hope you enjoy journeying along with us!








No comments:
Post a Comment