"Your Word is a light unto my feet and a lamp unto my path." Psalm 119:105

Hello and welcome! I'm a former elementary music educator, turned mom and home educator for more than 15 years. I have a passion for teaching, singing, and encouraging others along the way! Although I began blogging as a way to create a journal of our home education journey, I enjoy writing about a variety of topics related to home education, family, friends, and faith. I hope you enjoy journeying along with us!



Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Why We LOVE Home Education!

Each family finds home education as a unique opportunity for their own family.  I know many local families that homeschool - and we all do it differently!  Although our homeschool  has changed over the past five years, most of the reasons that we chose this journey have not changed.  It remains a great blessing to our family and we are even seeing more benefits after a few years of this type of lifestyle. 

Although I have talked about this subject a lot with close friends and family, I have never written it out for anyone else to read.  In celebration of the Hip Homeschool Moms "I *heart* Homeschooling" week I decided to write out why we really do LOVE home education!  Here are some of the main reasons that we have chosen home education as the path for our family since our oldest began Kindergarten.

B & J on our 1st day official day of homeschool, August, 2006
  • I was a teacher before I became a mom, but I wanted to be a mother a long time ago when I was a little girl.  Home education allows me to follow both of these callings on my life and keep my family as one of my highest priorities!
  • We are together more. I do not have regrets or guilt that I have missed too much time with my children. I am in school with them all day, teaching them, and building our relationships. It is also easier for them to see Daddy when he has some time that is not always in the evenings.
  • We can travel and take vacations occasionally, building great family memories and still get in more instructional days of school each year than our public school counterparts. (We can have school and have time to play in the snow, too!
Art and science at the Wildlife Refuge

  • My children fight, but they are really best friends.  They have a close relationship.
  • We can do activities in the evenings, because we don't have mountains of homework to do at night and we have been around home most of the day.
  • We can personalize the instruction for our children. This is great for both of them because they have different weaknesses and strengths.
  • We have been able to go on SO many wonderful field trips. Learning in the real world is great fun!
  • We use different materials that may not be available at other schools in our area.  We love using manipulatives, computers, and other hands-on learning activities.
Science can be fun!

  • God is teaching each of us how to become more like Him.  We learn about character from how we interact with each other and I love it that the children are learning lots of these lessons in our family, not from their peers.
  • We read and learn from the Bible each day and it is also brought up in other subjects like science and history.  We are learning a Biblical worldview in all areas of study and we can memorize scripture that will equip us for the long run!
  • God designed families to be the primary means of education.  We want to fulfill our responsibilities to God for the children He has given to us.  
Deuteronomy 6: 5-7 "Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up."
    1st day of Kindergarten & Preschool, August, 2006


     
    1st day of 4th & 2nd grades, August, 2010

    To really boil this down, our faith and our family are the basic reasons that we homeschool.  So, our love for God and our love for each other are the reasons why we LOVE home education!  I am thankful that we listened and responded to this calling of God for our family and that we have the freedom to educate our children in the way that is best for us!

    Our "Open House" and "Grade Promotion" Party with the grandparents, June, 2010


      11 comments:

      1. Excellent post! Stopping by from Hip Homeschool Hop. Blessings!

        ReplyDelete
      2. I love all of your reasons! I agree! I love homeschooling for so many wonderful reasons :)

        ReplyDelete
      3. Your reasons for why you love homeschooling sound so very similar to mine!

        ReplyDelete
      4. Wonderful! Home schooling is such a GREAT blessing!

        Visiting from the Hip Homeschool Hop this morning!

        Jessy

        ReplyDelete
      5. Hi! I'm visiting from Hip Homeschool Hop. I echo so many of your reasons. I feel the benefits far out weigh the struggles. I feel very blessed to be able to be with my children all day. I hope you have a great day!

        ReplyDelete
      6. You expressed your reasons so well- I should just refer all my critics to you! I'm so glad to have met so many like-minded mamas through the Hip HS Hop. It inspires me to continue and gives me new ideas to try. I'll be following you & looking forward to your updates.

        ReplyDelete
      7. I love your reasons. And the pictures of your kids between the years is so cute! They grow up too fast, don't they?

        ReplyDelete
      8. I love this post! So cute to see the pictures in front of the door, and I LOVE your family portrait on the wall!

        ReplyDelete
      9. Thanks everyone! Heather, that is my favorite family portrait. We got to do that a couple of years ago on a beach vacation and I treasure those photos. This post about homeschooling is really sharing my heart.

        ReplyDelete
      10. Oh, Heather, I forgot to say that a friend told me a long time ago to take a picture in the same place each year on our first day of school and we have so it is fun to compare them!

        ReplyDelete
      11. I enjoyed reading this post so much! My son will start kindergarten this year and we are homeschooling. I will also have a 3 yo preschooler! Faith and family sumupour reasons for homeschooling as well!

        ReplyDelete