"Your Word is a light unto my feet and a lamp unto my path." Psalm 119:105

Hello and welcome! I'm a former elementary music educator, turned mom and home educator for more than 15 years. I have a passion for teaching, singing, and encouraging others along the way! Although I began blogging as a way to create a journal of our home education journey, I enjoy writing about a variety of topics related to home education, family, friends, and faith. I hope you enjoy journeying along with us!



Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Hallelujah for Easter!

Cousins coloring eggs in Florida

We had an unusual week with being gone on Spring Break until the day before Easter.  We still colored eggs with my niece and nephews in Florida and it was fun! They had not done this activity for several years and they enjoyed coloring the eggs again with my children.  We talked about the symbol of eggs and new life for Easter while we colored the eggs.  On Saturday, we read "The Legend of the Easter Egg" by Lori Walburg. and talked about the symbols of Ash Wednesday, Lent, Maundy Thursday, and Easter that are in this sweet children's story.  We are also still reading "Amon's Adventure"  by Arnold Ytreeide that we began as a Lenten devotional, but it will probably take us another couple of weeks.  We will also still plan and celebrate a Passover meal because we have been studying the Old Testament feasts this year in our homeschool curriculum, but we were not able to do it yet.


I enjoyed directing the Chancel Choir (adults) and the Celebration Kids Choir in a combined piece, "Easter Fantasia".  It was a medley of traditional Easter songs, including "He Arose", "Christ the Lord is Risen Today", and "Allelujah, Allelujah".  They all did very well and I was glad for the help from friends in leading the rehearsal last week while I was out of state.  Everyone was ready to sing on Sunday morning and I was especially proud of the children who were very "professional" about singing with the adult choir!

J's beautifully colored creations
We did not get to participate in the annual Easter egg hunt at church, because it was the afternoon that we were flying back, but we didn't mind missing the storm and the egg hunt that was over in 5 minutes because of lightning! We did get to have an indoor egg hunt at Mamaw and Papaw's house on Easter with some cousins and we enjoyed spending the afternoon with my side of the family there. 


Cousins at Mamaw and Papaw's house
Over the past few months, both of our children have accepted Jesus as their own Savior!  So, this seemed like the perfect Easter to present them with their very own Bibles, personalized with their name embossed on the cover. They were excited to take them to church that morning!  B has especially been asking for her own Bible and wanted her name on the front.  I was glad that I found what I needed and was able to get the embossing done quickly before we left on our trip because I knew that we would not get home until the evening before Easter. 
New Bibles on Easter

I think that Easter was more meaningful this year to the children.  They still had fun with the egg hunts and Easter basket surprises, but they know the real message of Easter now and they are on the journey of growing with the Lord.  What more could we ask for?  I am so thankful for the precious sacrifice of Jesus and the great love that God has for each of us!  Hallelujah for Easter!
B and me

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog from the Hop. Your Eater picts are beautiful! We died eggs as well, and had an Easter egg hunt :) I love your idea of giving Bibles to your children on Easter.
    Yes, buy a globe! My 12 year old put it together by himself, he would like the 960 piece one for next year :)
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete