Please join me in sharing this journey with others at
In my life this week…
I have completed my first Classical Conversations Parent Practicum and Foundations Tutor Training! I learned more about the Classical model of education and I was inspired! After needing a break from our school work for a few weeks I am starting to get more excited again about planning for another year. I learned about how to "train the brain to retain". We discussed what it really means to be free and educated. I learned about the Star Spangled Banner and all four of it's stanzas. I got to know fellow tutors better and we are starting a new CC Community so it was nice to get more acquainted with each other. I also was able to purchase all of our Foundations and Essentials books and resources. During my tutor training I was able to learn from experienced Foundations tutors how to go through the new grammar work each week and heard about lots of fun games and activities to help with that. We also discussed lots of things to think about as we set up a new Foundations program with our Director. I also enjoyed connecting with other people from around the state who will be doing CC this school year. It was fun to hear from experienced CC moms and it was also fun to talk with lots of other parents who are also new to CC like me! If you have the opportunity to attend a CC Parent Practicum you should go! I gained so much and it was free! It was just as good or better than our homeschool convention because it directly applies to what we will be working on all year.
In our homeschool this week…
After being out of a routine and traveling for most days for the past three weeks, we began to do our morning Bible study routine yesterday. It felt good for me to be teaching my children again and focusing on God's Word! They seemed happier and had not forgotten the memory verses we were working on. We also got the 4H projects and turned in at the county fairgrounds. Because I was traveling over an hour one way to my practicum for Monday through Wednesday, I was just happy that they were completed on Tuesday night and I forgot to take pictures! I will have to share those next week.
Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…
I also heard some moms talking about "The Well Planned Day" daily planner for homeschool teachers. I just checked out this website and it looks like a great resource. They also produce a magazine, so I am subscribing to their e-mail list. I hope to order a planner and review it soon! I think it looks like a great way to get organized and I love the beautiful graphics.
Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
We are hosting our monthly supper club this evening. We thought July was the perfect month to have the group come to the marina and eat with us there, followed by an evening boat cruise.
Questions/thoughts I have…
If any of you use the planner that is pictures above, do you use the spiral bound copy or do you get the pdf electronic version? And do they both fit into the matching binders offered at that website?
Things I’m working on…
...Plans for school!
I’m reading…
I am reading the Classsical Conversations Foundations Curriculum Guide and Echo in Celebration: A Call to Home-Centered Education, both by Leigh Bortins
I’m grateful for…
After the kids were away from home with and without us for ten days, it was just nice to have everyone at home later in the week!
I’m praying for…
I'm praying for my hubby. He was completely exhausted yesterday after working and / or being on call for six days in a row! It may not sounds like a lot, but he actually worked about 90 hours in a week. I hope he can enjoy a peaceful, relaxing weekend!
A photo, video, link, or quote to share…
"A true education teaches us to know God and to make Him known. As God is author and creator of all things, he alone can illumine our understanding of these things, and that understanding should point us back toward him no matter what subject we tackle." Leigh Bortins


OH, what a wonderful week! We were going to go to CC this year and I was going to tutor Foundations...but, we opted out. I can't wait to read about your journey through CC! Your husband sounds a lot like mine...He has worked every day for the past 12 days and will be back in the office today....his hours have been long, leaving at 7:30 and not returning home until 1am. I am blessed to be at home..otherwise, the children would be in day care and without either of us for long, long periods of time. I pray for your family and that God continues to provide for all of us...so that we can continue in this journey we are not in! Be blessed! ILOVE your sweet blog!!!!
ReplyDeleteIt's wonderful to meet you! Thank you for leaving a comment on my site. I too am about to embark on planning - finally received the last few books. I don't have the same planner as yours, but the one I chose is pdf format. I like the ability to do a "save as" and have a consistent planner for years to come. And I'm used to digital planners since I've been using The Homeschool Tracker for close to 2 yrs. Look forward to returning often to read your blog!
ReplyDeleteI have been so intrigued by Classical Conversations! I wish I would have had one near me a couple of years ago (well, I still don't have one NEAR me, but nothing is near me...)
ReplyDeleteI look forward to learning more through your experience!