In my life this week…
I didn't write a post last weekend because we were just returning from Walt Disney World! It was such a fantastic trip that we were sad when it was over. We also had a long weekend and observed the holiday for Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. J was excited to begin basketball with his first game last Saturday. Now that our activities are resuming their regular schedules, the kids were happy to see their friends more this week than they had over the holidays.
Crazy Indiana weather! We also had a tornado warning on Tuesday morning! How crazy for January!! It seemed calm, but the kids were already in the basement. The dogs needed to go outside for their "business" and right after I let them back inside, the rain and hail pounded our home like buckets of water were dumping on us! My husband had a crazy morning too, with all of the patients moved to the hallways of the hospital for shelter during the tornado warning! The rest of this week the weather was calm until last night when we received 1/4-1/2 an inch of ice over everything during the evening! Now everything is so slick, the dogs were sliding around on the deck trying to go outside!
In our homeschool this week…
Our first morning "back to school" was during the tornado warning, so we didn't get much done until it was over and the rest of the week we took things slow, trying to get back into a somewhat normal routine. I think we would all rather be at Walt Disney World, but by the end of the week, all of our attitudes were improving! We are still not back to all of our subjects, but we reviewed all of the memory work for the first semester, got back to math and handwriting, and completed our IEW writing assignments about the beginning of the Revolutionary War. I was pleased with how the stories turned out!
Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
I was excited for our friend and piano instructor to start lessons with them again, after a 7 month maternity leave! I taught the kids piano during our first semester of school, but it was hard for me to be consistent. I just do not have as much patience after I have been teaching all day and it is more motivating for them to be prepared for another teacher for a piano lesson each week, than good, ol' mom! B has never taken piano lessons from someone besides me, but now she is ready for that and she will get through her books more quickly. I don't mind just helping during practice time at home! B practiced completely on her own and didn't need any help from me and then she wanted to play for her Dad last night!
My favorite thing this week was…I decided to jump in and begin the Good Morning Girls Bible study of the book of Ephesians on Monday and I invited some real-life friends to join me in the online study. Three friends joined me and we decided to have e-mail discussions, since one of them is not yet on Facebook. The study is great! I am enjoying the SOAP study method and you can check out the free study guide by clicking on their website or checking out my blog post GMG Ephesians Week 1.
Things I'm working on...
On this icy, winter day I think I will finish taking down the Christmas tree and maybe tackle my clothes closet or at least my daughter's bulging sock drawer that cannot be shut!
I'm reading...
The book of Ephesians and the Good Morning Girls study. A book I ordered also arrived in the mail and I just started reading "How to Have a H.E.A.R.T. for Your Kids" by Rachael Carman. Click here for a great post about chapter one from the book club.
I'm cooking...
Yes, I am actually cooking! December was so busy that I was not good about having meals prepared at home. One of my goals for the New Year is to plan my meals each week and to prepare healthy meals at home most nights. This week we had pancakes and eggs, BBQ rotisserie chicken (from the grocery store deli), soup and sandwiches, and home made beef stew in the crockpot. We also had Subway one night when we were on the go and we splurged for ordering pizza last night!
I’m praying for…
Friends and family. Enough said.
Questions/thoughts I have…
We have been studying American history this year and we are going to be joining my husband on a work-related trip to Washington D.C. during the cherry blossom festival in the spring! We have never been to Washington D.C. What kinds of books and videos should we be viewing to prepare for this awesome trip? Any advice for what to focus on seeing when we are there? I know there is probably more there for us to see than we could even visit in a whole week.
A photo, video, link, or quote to share…
Some favorite memories of Legoland and Walt Disney World!
Have a great week!
"Your Word is a light unto my feet and a lamp unto my path." Psalm 119:105
Hello and welcome! I'm a former elementary music educator, turned mom and home educator for more than 15 years. I have a passion for teaching, singing, and encouraging others along the way! Although I began blogging as a way to create a journal of our home education journey, I enjoy writing about a variety of topics related to home education, family, friends, and faith. I hope you enjoy journeying along with us!
Saturday, January 21, 2012
Crazy Weather and Vacation Memories! THMJ, Jan. 21, 2012
Labels:
GMG Ephesians,
homeschool,
Vacation,
weather
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment