"Your Word is a light unto my feet and a lamp unto my path." Psalm 119:105

Hello and welcome! I'm a former elementary music educator, turned mom and home educator for more than 15 years. I have a passion for teaching, singing, and encouraging others along the way! Although I began blogging as a way to create a journal of our home education journey, I enjoy writing about a variety of topics related to home education, family, friends, and faith. I hope you enjoy journeying along with us!



Wednesday, January 18, 2012

GMG Ephesians Week 1

The Good Morning Girls study of Ephesians has inspired me to dig a little deeper into God's Word this week.  From time to time I pick my Bible Commentary off of the shelf and place it on the table with my Bible where I do my morning Bible study.  I am going to leave it there for awhile, as I journey through the book of Ephesians.  Since we are reading only a few verses at a time, using a Commentary helps me to read other notes and to grasp the true meaning of the words that I read in scripture.  Sometimes, it explains the root words or gives culturally relevant information that shaped what the writer was saying.  


This week, some ideas have "jumped out" at me from the very first verses of Paul's letter to the Ephesians.  

“Having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He has made us accepted in the Beloved.” Eph. 1:5-6 (NKJV)

The Bible Knowledge Commentary, New Testament,  says, “The words “freely given” (or “made”) translate the verb echaritosen, from the noun “grace” (charis).  The verb form is used only one other time in the New Testament in Luke 1:28, where Mary is said to be “highly favored”.  Literally, Ephesians 1:6a might be rendered “to the praise of His glorious grace which He ‘graced’ to us.  Since salvation is all of God’s grace, Christians certainly ought to praise Him for it.  And that is why they were chosen: to give Him praise.”
  God decided to adopt humans into his family before He saved us, out of His love.  Because He is love, He delighted in doing this, and then He saved us through Jesus, who made this adoption possible.  I should never question God’s everlasting love toward me, or those whom I love.  I praise Him for this grace or freely given gift and that is what I was created to do, to praise and glorify Him!  So, when I praise God and give Him glory, I am doing what I was meant to do from the beginning of time ! Isn't that incredible?
"In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace that He lavished on us." Eph. 1:7-8 (NIV)
God “lavished” forgiveness on us, according to the riches of His grace, so this is an extravagant, generous grace that fully covers my sins and goes beyond them.  This statement blows me away!  “The cost of Christ’s blood is the measure of the wealth of God’s unmerited favor to every believer.  It was accomplished not “out of” but “according to” the wealth of His grace.”   (The Bible Knowledge Commentary, New Testament.)
When I dig deeper, I am thankful and astounded.  I praise God for his lavish, extravagant, all-encompassing love, grace, and forgiveness.  It is only through Jesus that I am saved beyond measure!
You are loved with the same lavish, rich kind of love.  God is waiting to give this to you if you have not already accepted it.  Be joyful!  He delighted in this, because He loves you!

No comments:

Post a Comment