"Your Word is a light unto my feet and a lamp unto my path." Psalm 119:105

Hello and welcome! I'm a former elementary music educator, turned mom and home educator for more than 15 years. I have a passion for teaching, singing, and encouraging others along the way! Although I began blogging as a way to create a journal of our home education journey, I enjoy writing about a variety of topics related to home education, family, friends, and faith. I hope you enjoy journeying along with us!



Friday, May 25, 2012

THMJ May 20, 2012

Testing and Other Fun News, 2012


Written by Rachel, May 20, 2012

In my life this week…
We are wrapping up some spring activities and starting others.  The kids started practicing on the swim team and were moved up a level to the Dolphin group! They also completed their semester of piano lessons and received a small gift card from their teacher for their diligent practice!  We finished cutting down some old pine trees in our backyard that were blocking the sun and growing into the electric lines, whew! That was quite a big job.

In our homeschool this week…
We have been focusing our school time on completing our testing.  It is not required in our state, but I wanted to try it for the first time this spring and we are using the combined OLSAT / Stanford from BJU Press.  It has been hard for the kids!  They have been so nervous about how they are doing.  One thing is clear, they are just not accustomed to taking "tests", so I feel that this is important practice for them to do this.  They are  longer than I thought that they would, but I am glad that this means that they care about the results.  I hope that it accurately reflects their abilities and that they will be pleasantly surprised with their results in some areas, but even if other areas are disappointing, this will help us to know where to focus.  I hope to gain some information to help us select reading and math materials for our next school year.

Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
We had friends over to our boat on Friday!  It felt like summer, although the water was still too cold for me to enjoy.  It was nice to soak up the sun!  D and the kids all tried out the new kneeboard and thought it was much easier than skiing or wakeboarding.  Our reluctant water sports child loved it!

Things I am working on...
I have been going through old homeschool books and curriculum for a book sale this week.  I hope I am pricing everything to sell!

I am reading ...
I began reading The Proverbs 31 Woman:  One Virtue at a Time by Courtney Joseph.  You can still download this e-book for free when you subscribe to her blog for updates.  I am excited to be leading a small e-mail group that will be reading through this study over the summer.

I am grateful for...
Our last week of school and a lot to celebrate from the past year!  We have learned so much, made some great friends, and the children have grown in numerous ways.

My favorite thing this week was…
Singing in my husband's 84 year old aunt's wedding!  I know, it is unusual, but she has been a widow for 26 years and we were all so happy for this newly wed couple.  They were both so joyful and I saw a happiness that just hasn't been there for many years.  She asked me to sing Irving Berlin's "Always."

Have a great week!
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment