"Your Word is a light unto my feet and a lamp unto my path." Psalm 119:105

Hello and welcome! I'm a former elementary music educator, turned mom and home educator for more than 15 years. I have a passion for teaching, singing, and encouraging others along the way! Although I began blogging as a way to create a journal of our home education journey, I enjoy writing about a variety of topics related to home education, family, friends, and faith. I hope you enjoy journeying along with us!



Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Conquer the Clutter!


I you are like me, you just might have some cluttered up spaces in your home that you have been neglecting for quite some time, like maybe the whole school year?!  Somehow random things that don't get put away eventually sit in a stack or pile or basket and just take up space because I become overwhelmed by it all.  In the spring I knew I needed to work inside our home, but the weather was so nice that I just wanted to be outdoors.  Now that we are having weeks of 90-100+ degree weather highs, I am happy to find a reason to spend a few hours in the hot afternoon in the air conditioning!

This is a list of huge tasks and it is not for the weak or faint-hearted!  We will conquer the clutter!  No clutter will be spared!  Thankfully, my hubby worked a few weekends ago on the garage and it is in super shape!  Then I was able to work on the sun room while the kids were visiting Nana.  I re-organized book shelves, emptied out the school baskets of supplies, and worked on my list of school books that are for sale.    I also finished putting away all of the tutor notes from last school year's Foundations materials and have a completely organized file box of information from Cycle 3.

There are only a couple of weeks left until it is time to get back to school, so we are going to attack this list this week and we started yesterday by working in the kids' rooms and de-cluttering their flat surfaces.  I gave them each a trash bag, a box for things that need to be put away in other areas of the house, and a give away box.  I think the kids like having some control over what they keep and what they don't use or need.  We already got rid of a whole bag of trash and stacks of clothes that are too small, plus some other items that the kids are willing to give away. 

I am sure that I will find other areas to add to this list, but here is the list that I have right now.  I don't know if we will organize every area on this list, but it is a worthy goal!

Home Organization List
Garage
Sun room school area
Kitchen table and counter area
Master bedroom flat surfaces and closet
Master bathroom drawers and cabinet
J's bedroom flat surfaces and closet
B's bedroom flat surfaces and closet
Kids' bathroom drawers and counterop
Basement school area
Basement storage closet
Laundry room
Filing cabinet
Linen closet
Book shelves - color-coding books by category or Dewey system


If I write this list and publish it, then I will be more likely to accomplish it.  It is time to conquer the clutter! 

No comments:

Post a Comment