"Your Word is a light unto my feet and a lamp unto my path." Psalm 119:105

Hello and welcome! I'm a former elementary music educator, turned mom and home educator for more than 15 years. I have a passion for teaching, singing, and encouraging others along the way! Although I began blogging as a way to create a journal of our home education journey, I enjoy writing about a variety of topics related to home education, family, friends, and faith. I hope you enjoy journeying along with us!



Tuesday, February 19, 2013

It's already registration time again!



Written by Rachel, February 15, 2013

In my life this week…
We enjoyed having our Latin and Science club meeting at our home last week and Monday was a busy and productive day at our Classical Conversations community.  I turned in our registration papers for next year!  J had some kind of cold-like symptoms this week that slowed him down, but he seems to be on the mend.  We enjoyed the Boat Show in Indy last weekend and that makes my hubby happy!  He is getting excited about the next boating season that will begin this spring.

In our homeschool this week…
We are in Week 15 of Classical Conversations Cycle 1.  In our timeline last week we finally got to some early American history and it was so fun to go back to a history song from last year's Cycle 3 about the Plymouth colony.  Once we heard the music intro. we could all sing the entire song!
Diagramming sentences really can be art!

Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…
SING everything!  Music helps us to remember anything we can put to a tune.  Although the kids complain about some of the melodies, they stick in their heads and help them remember all kinds of information.  This week we sang the helping verbs, history sentences and the timeline, and the highest mountains on each continent.  Try it.  It works!


My favorite thing this week was…
Beautiful red roses and chocolate from my Valentine!

I am reading ...
Prescriptions for the Doctor's Wife and Help for your Unique Marriage by Debby ReadA friend invited a few ladies to her home for a monthly book discussion and Bible studyI can relate so well to the author's life experiences.  It is refreshing to read this book!

I am working on...
Lesson plans for next week and finding some fun new math games.  Any ideas?

I am grateful for... 
Two years ago, I made a huge change in our curriculum and schedule to join our CC community and I researched it for months before committing to tutoring a Foundations class and jumping into Foundations and Essentials wholeheartedly.  Last year, I was torn for weeks about being asked to tutor an Essentials class where I would give instruction in English grammar and writing, which has taken more work and time and I was also researching math programs to find a different one that would fill in our gaps.  This year is so exciting to just know what we want to do and not have any big changes in our homeschool to figure out.  The kids are going to continue with Foundations and Essentials next year and I plan to tutor Essentials again and learn even more the second time around!  I know that God stretches me when I have to go through change (it's hard for me), but it is also a relief to have a year where I don't feel the need to change quite as much!

I am praying for...
My grandmother is making a move this week and I think it will benefit her.  She seems optimistic, which is a good change from how she was feeling a few days ago!

A photo, video, link, or quote to share…
Two of my three valentines goofing around!






Hop on over to the Hip Homeschool Hop, The Homeschool Mother's Journal, Collage Friday,  and Weekly Wrap-up.  Have a great week!
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment