Written by Rachel, February 8, 2013
In my life this week…
It was a blessing to celebrate my son's 12th birthday last Monday! He was born early because I was suffering from severe pre-eclampsia and although he was a 34.5 week preemie, it was still a scary time. I wrote this post about it awhile back. We are extremely thankful for how healthy, handsome, bright, and kind our young man has become. We will always be grateful for the prayers and support of friends and family during my week and his 10 day stay in the hospital! He has transformed from last year. Look at the difference from his 11th birthday to his 12th!
![]() |
| 11th birthday |
![]() |
| 12th birthday (can you tell that I am looking up to him now?) |
In our homeschool this week…
We have been accomplishing so much this week, but I feel like I still need to get our school day started a little earlier. It is better than last week, but could use improvement. This week I learned that although we were doing well with our English grammar first semester, I needed to slow things down just a bit with the more challenging Complex sentence structure this week.
Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…
Handwritten notes can be a spelling, English, and handwriting assignment all in one! My daughter is almost done with her birthday thank you cards and it is so cool to see her writing complete sentences, in cursive, with little assistance. My the kids have grown!
My favorite thing this week was…
My son was super excited when his choir director made a fuss over his excellent posture in rehearsal and offered him a treat. My daughter was super excited when her ballet instructor had her demonstrate a challenging skill to the rest of the class so that they could try to do it like her. Compliments and positive re-inforcement go a long way! I am glad that my children now have other mentors in their lives who are recognizing them for working hard and doing something well. I am reading ...
I began reading Detectives in Togas by Henry Winterfield to the kids as a read aloud. We were all caught up in the exciting mystery right away! We needed something new and fresh to add to our study of ancient history and I think this will do that well.
I am working on...
The party planning is mostly done and lots of housework was accomplished today. I even completed my tutoring lesson plan for Monday last night, so I don't have to do it this weekend! I am needing help in planning our schedule and getting the kids to complete all of our school work before our afternoon activities. We all just need to get going a little earlier in the morning next week!
I am grateful for...
My son. He is truly turning into a young man before our eyes. I always become nostalgic around the birthdays of my children. {sigh!}
I am praying for...
Praising God for a friend's child who was able to come home from a two week stay at the hospital and return to his school this week!
A photo, video, link, or quote to share…
Ready for a party!
Hop on over to the Hip Homeschool Hop, The Homeschool Mother's Journal, Collage Friday, and Weekly Wrap-up. Have a great week!Rachel




It's been so long since I've read blogs. Yours is the first I opened. I'll have to look back to catch up a bit. Seems like you're working in MFW, but my memory may not serve me right.
ReplyDeleteWhat time do you usually start school? We don't start early enough either. I'm not doing a good job at trying to break my night owl habit.
Glad to see you're doing well. I'll try to get back to blogging regularly. I miss it!
Hi Lisa! I am in the same boat! I miss blogging and reading the blogs of friends like you. It is good to hear from you! This is the 2nd year that we have not used MFW because we are doing Classical Conversations, but I hope we can stay in touch!
Delete