"Your Word is a light unto my feet and a lamp unto my path." Psalm 119:105

Hello and welcome! I'm a former elementary music educator, turned mom and home educator for more than 15 years. I have a passion for teaching, singing, and encouraging others along the way! Although I began blogging as a way to create a journal of our home education journey, I enjoy writing about a variety of topics related to home education, family, friends, and faith. I hope you enjoy journeying along with us!



Friday, May 10, 2013

A Mother's Day Tea, Testing, and Reading



Written by Rachel, May 10, 2013

In my life this week…
May is here!!!  It still feels April-ish with cloudy, rainy weather and highs in the 60-70's, but I will take it.  It was finally warm enough to go get the boat out of winter storage and drive it to the lake where we keep it for the summer.  We spent a fun afternoon on the water and I was the only one who stayed dry!

Yesterday, we enjoyed visiting with my grandmother at a Mother's Day Tea at her assisted living facility.  It was a wonderful celebration of all the residents and each person was honored by a family member.  When I spoke about my Nini, she had big tears in her eyes.  I am so thankful that I was able to bless her with words of affirmation and the gift of my time.  She thanked us for giving her the gift of our time when we were leaving.



In our homeschool this week…
This week was pretty much consumed by our standardized testing.  Last year, I had the kids take the Stanford 10 at home with me and there were many tears and it seemed to drag on for days.  So, this year, I signed them up to take it with a group of their friends so they would get it done in two days and go through it with other kids who weren't crying about it - sometimes peer pressure is a positive thing!  It went well.  I think I will write a longer post about it soon.
 
Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…
I am thrilled that two weeks ago our daughter successfully completed her final round of proofing to become a Classical Conversations Memory Master and I wrote the post "Our Memory Master's Journey" about it to explain the process and to tell her story.


My favorite thing this week was…
Seeing my dyslexic son reading his book on his ipod non-stop! 

I am reading ...
My son and I both finished reading Percy Jackson:  The Sea of Monsters and after a bit of a cliffhanger of an ending he just had to begin the 3rd book in the series, The Titan's Curse.  I have not started it, yet, but he is almost done!

I am working on...
It is so nice that I have a break from planning lessons for our language arts class!   It feels like I have more time to start some cleaning and organizing projects around the house, blog, mow the yard, and be outdoors.  

I am grateful for... 
The Barton Reading and Spelling System because my son is finally reading for fun and wanted to read his standardized test for himself this year.  We are have not completed all of the levels, yet, but a few years ago I did not know if my son would ever read well or ever want to read for pleasure.  I am truly grateful!

I am praying for...
My friends and the heartaches that I know about, my family and their concerns, and my church with a big decision coming up soon for our congregation.  I am especially praying for wisdom and truth to be upheld and for peace to prevail no matter what decision is rendered.

A video, photo, or quote to share...
I sang the song "Blessings" by Laura Story at the memorial service of a friend and sister in Christ who will be missed by many.  It is a real song about the tough things in life.  I had heard this song a million times on the radio and not truly listened to the words until I was preparing for the service.  "Blessings" is now a special song to me and it conveys truth about God and His great mercy for us.





Hop on over to the Hip Homeschool Hop, The Homeschool Mother's Journal, Collage Friday,  and Weekly Wrap-up.  Have a great week!
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment