"Your Word is a light unto my feet and a lamp unto my path." Psalm 119:105

Hello and welcome! I'm a former elementary music educator, turned mom and home educator for more than 15 years. I have a passion for teaching, singing, and encouraging others along the way! Although I began blogging as a way to create a journal of our home education journey, I enjoy writing about a variety of topics related to home education, family, friends, and faith. I hope you enjoy journeying along with us!



Tuesday, June 11, 2013

An Artist and a Wakeboarder



Written by Rachel, June 7, 2013

In my life this week…
Vacation!  We stayed with my my husband's family so we spent lots of time with nieces, nephews, and my in-laws.  Time away from our everyday responsibilities has been a great break and time on our boats on the lake has been fun!

In our homeschool this week…
B and I attended our state convention last weekend on Friday.  We enjoyed perusing the aisles of books and fun resources, seeing friends, and hearing some great speakers.  The trip gave us time together and time to go see all of the art work and photography that were on display for the contests for our convention.  B's art work was included and we were already notified that it won a blue ribbon for 1st place in her division of the Art Contest.  We had to leave for our trip the day of the awards ceremony and did not find out until a few days later that her art work won Reserve Champion for the Art Contest!  We were all thrilled for her!



Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…
Take a break from school and enjoy summer!  :)


My favorite thing this week was…
J learned to wakeboard on his first attempt!  We have had rainy days, so he has not gotten to practice every day, but he has the whole summer to perfect his skills in this new water sport!  It was priceless to see the look of accomplishment on his face the first time he got up on the wakeboard and just kept riding!

I am reading ...
Anything by Jennie Allen, along with the Good Morning Girls Summer Bible study.  
I am still trying to catch up to my son in the Percy Jackson series and I just comleted Book #3, The Titan's Curse,  and began Book #4, The Battle of the Labyrinth.
I also heard Kathie Morrissey, from Courtship Connection, speak about the book Passionate Parenting by Cary Schmidt at the convention last weekend and I have enjoyed beginning to read this new book.  

I am working on...
I am trying not to "work" a whole lot this week, but when my mind won't shut off for school, I have still been thinking about our curriculum for next year and how to supplement and enrich our learning, knowing that we are set on participating in Foundations and Essentials classes in our Classical Conversations community again.

I am grateful for... 
Family time, especially with my husband!

I am praying for...
I am praising God for good news about the results from a friend's thyroid tumor; it's benign!

A video, photo, or quote to share...
I have learned tons of information from studying God's Word with Beth Moore's Bible studies.  She is an inspiration to me and I just had to share this quote when I read it on her Facebook page.  I wholeheartedly believe that we can minister and serve God effectively in our own communities.  He does call some to reach beyond their borders, but many of us He calls to ministry in our own hoe town.  
"We may never leave our native land or travel by air or sea; but if we love and serve God, our lives will be filled with adventure. God will never take you anywhere He has not already prepared for your arrival. Keep trusting Him!" - Beth Moore



Hop on over to the Hip Homeschool Hop, The Homeschool Mother's Journal, Collage Friday,  and Weekly Wrap-up.  Have a great week!
Rachel

1 comment:

  1. I love that you read several books at once- Your advice about taking a break is good! We are going very light on the Homeschooling this Summer :)
    I stopped by to tell you that I've nominated you for the Super Sweet Blogger Award! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete