"Your Word is a light unto my feet and a lamp unto my path." Psalm 119:105

Hello and welcome! I'm a former elementary music educator, turned mom and home educator for more than 15 years. I have a passion for teaching, singing, and encouraging others along the way! Although I began blogging as a way to create a journal of our home education journey, I enjoy writing about a variety of topics related to home education, family, friends, and faith. I hope you enjoy journeying along with us!



Tuesday, October 22, 2013

A Fun, Busy October Weekend

http://www.soyoucallyourselfahomeschooler.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/HMJ-Logo-Landscape-500x337.png
Written by Rachel, October 11, 2013

In my life this week…
We enjoyed a crazy, fun weekend Oct. 4-6.  Our Oktoberfest was in full force Thurs. through Saturday and we enjoyed fried food, rides, the cake walk, looking through the craft booths, a small purchase, musical performances, and the annual parade!  Some family traveled to enjoy the festivities as well.  After the parade and downpour of rain on Saturday afternoon, the in-laws took our kids back to their house and we went to Indianapolis for the Jack Johnson concert!  It was great!  I love his mellow music.  Hubby and I spent the night there and then enjoyed a Colts game on Sunday because a friend had offered us tickets.  We were exhausted, but blessed to have had such fun and make some great memories.

In our homeschool this week…
We have been working through Week 6 of Classical Conversations, Cycle 2. Now we have learned about some countries, cities, rivers, and mountains in Europe for Geography, so there is more to review all the time.  I also put together this file folder game to practice the Latin 1st Conjugation endings.  The endings are easy to get mixed up, so this matching game is helping the kids to see and hear the Latin endings, plus they are moving the cards, so it is a kinesthetic activity, too!  (We like multi-sensory activities around here!)

Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…
I LOVE the Classical Conversations Cycle 2 app. for our Apple products!  We have enjoyed the other apps in Cycles 1 and 3, but they were not released this early in the school year.  It is so great to already have the app. on our iPad, iPhone, and iPods.  I use the iPad each morning for us to listen to the memory work and practice it.  It is super easy to scroll between subjects in the same week or different weeks of the same subject. 


My favorite thing this week was… 
Well, my really fun weekend was a combination of many favorite moments!  However, I was so proud tonight when my daughter tackled some great fears and tried a new gymnastics class.  I will just say that it was a good experience for her to conquer her fear and to jump into the class tonight!  She even tore some skin off of her hand that was caloused and did not cry.  When we talked about it after she was done, she seemed excited and was showing us new things that she had already learned!  This was a victory for her self-confidence, no matter how far she goes in gymnastics.

I am reading ...
Cathy Duffy's 101 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum.  I own her older version of "100 Top Picks..." that just came out when I began homeschooling.  I borrowed this newer book from our local library and it is similar to the old book, with great information about various methods of education, learning styles, personality types, and examples of worksheets to help the reader put together their own educational plan.  However, I really enjoyed reading reviews for curriculum that were not included in the former edition or revised reviews.

I am grateful for... 
... cool, crisp air, apple cider, warm soups and chilis, and my family, including the furry friends that share our home!

I am praying for...
Several situations, families that have experienced loss, and wisdom in teaching and guiding our children each day.


No comments:

Post a Comment