I have been reading about the Classical Conversations Challenge program since we started 2.5 years ago. I really heard about it long before we even had a local CC community to participate in from a friend from Georgia whose daughters were enrolled there. I was excited to actually be able to sit in on a Challenge A class today with my oldest to observe. I am pleased with what I saw and heard there!
Students were participating in the discussion, giving answers for math equations and reading aloud their science reports on sharks. They played a nerf gun math facts review game for multiplication facts that my children have already been learning for 3 years in Foundations! It sure made the math seem less intimidating for me and my student.
My tutor friend showed me the geography quiz that the students were working on. I liked that ability to make the geography quiz matching or multiple choice if the traditional fill-in-the-blank is not the best testing situation for my dyslexia, dysgraphic child. It could also be done orally, pointing to a map. Again, I was pleased that our children have already been memorizing quite a lot of the countries, states, capitals, and land features that they will be expected to learn in Challenge A. I just love how the Foundations program has already given us so much to build upon in the Challenge programs!
Just monitoring the class this morning made me feel more able to take on the challenge of Challenge A! The moms say the kids enjoy it and it's a fun transition from Foundations/Essentials into the Challenge program. For those of us who have already been spending a few hours a day on normal school days, I don't think it will be an insurmountable task, but just another step up to higher expectations for this age and development level. If you are considering homeschooling your children through Jr. High and High School, you may want to consider the CC Challenge program. Parents are always the "teachers" of their children with all the responsibility and the decision making, but CC Challenge tutors are mentors who assist parents in guiding their children and in giving them a safe, classical, Christian environment where students can learn, grow, and thrive. Visit a Challenge near you!
"Your Word is a light unto my feet and a lamp unto my path." Psalm 119:105
Hello and welcome! I'm a former elementary music educator, turned mom and home educator for more than 15 years. I have a passion for teaching, singing, and encouraging others along the way! Although I began blogging as a way to create a journal of our home education journey, I enjoy writing about a variety of topics related to home education, family, friends, and faith. I hope you enjoy journeying along with us!
No comments:
Post a Comment