"Your Word is a light unto my feet and a lamp unto my path." Psalm 119:105

Hello and welcome! I'm a former elementary music educator, turned mom and home educator for more than 15 years. I have a passion for teaching, singing, and encouraging others along the way! Although I began blogging as a way to create a journal of our home education journey, I enjoy writing about a variety of topics related to home education, family, friends, and faith. I hope you enjoy journeying along with us!



Monday, February 17, 2014

Rachel's Classical Conversations at Home

I have a few friends who are asking me how I use Classical Conversations at home. So, here is what we are currently doing for our routine of school work, although each family is unique and will probably need to create their own schedule.  I have two children, ages 11 and 13, who are in Foundations and Essentials.  We still study and practice many subjects together.  I did not write strict times on this schedule, because our starting time may vary a little, but we do pretty much stick to this routine and it helps us to accomplish our goals!  I used to try to get the kids to follow a checklist, but now I just write the order of activities  on our large whiteboard and we check them off as we go, while I also keep a planning book of what we do every day.

Monday:  CC Community Day for Foundations and Essentials

Tuesday-Thursday routine: 
Bible and breakfast (I read while the kids eat and we discuss the passage.)
Finish Chores
15 min. Handwriting practice and a notebook page for Latin vocabulary (English From the Roots Up)
30 min.  CC current memory work for that week and review later in the week
30-45 min. math lessons with Math U See, mom switches between kids to help, if needed
30 min. English grammar from Essentials
1 hour lunch break - I might check e-mail, do some quick chores, make lunch, eat, and clean up lunch
30 min. spelling & presentation with my daughter (my son reads)
30 min. Barton Reading & Spelling with my son (my daughter reads)
30-45 min. IEW vocabulary and writing from Essentials
30 min. read aloud from history, science, fine arts, or literature (This seems to be what we run out of time for at the end of the day, but I can also read to them while eat lunch or in the evening.)

Each child also practices piano after school and we have some activities that vary throughout the afternoons and evenings of the week. 

We have always done a lighter schedule on Fridays to fit in 4H club monthly meetings or other appointments in the afternoons.

Friday routine:
Bible and breakfast
Finish Chores
30 min. CC memory work
30 min. review of CC memory work with binder notebooks or review games
30-45 min. math
1 hour lunch break
30 -45 min. IEW writing
30 min. (15 min. for each child to practice their presentation with me)
30 min. read alouds
Time to plan the next week or have appointments or just hang out! 

Saturdays:
My husband works a lot of weekends, so I try to get the lesson planning for tutoring Essentials done on Saturday mornings when he is working or while I am waiting for my kids activities during the week (like a 1 hour choir or dance reheasrsal).  When I know he will not be working on the weekend, I really try to get the planning done at night after he is asleep during the week, so that our weekend is free!

Do you have any tips or ideas for how you plan your school work?  Feel free to share them below!






No comments:

Post a Comment