"Your Word is a light unto my feet and a lamp unto my path." Psalm 119:105

Hello and welcome! I'm a former elementary music educator, turned mom and home educator for more than 15 years. I have a passion for teaching, singing, and encouraging others along the way! Although I began blogging as a way to create a journal of our home education journey, I enjoy writing about a variety of topics related to home education, family, friends, and faith. I hope you enjoy journeying along with us!



Thursday, January 8, 2015

CC Memory Work Review Game Day!

I organized a fun Memory Work Review Game Day for our CC Community after we complete our first semester of Foundations classes.  It was a fun, positive day for all Foundations students to practice their memory work!

I grouped students together by age and ability into small groups of 3 or 4.  We had 7 stations, one for each subject of memory work.  A couple of the groups had a parent or older sibling travel with them the whole morning, while groups of older students moved fine on their own.  We only had time for about 15 minutes at a station, so this day was not about showing individual mastery of the memory work, but just a fun time to review.  Some games gave children turns to answer, but they could "phone a friend" to help them out and I saw them helping each other, which was really awesome!

Here are the activities that we enjoyed:

Geography - U.S. puzzles of the states and a game of matching the state to it's capital.


Math - younger kids rolled a dice and sang their skip counting songs, while older children reviewed  their math facts with a game of Speed.


Latin - a bean bag toss to match the Latin vocabulary with it's English meaning and then roll the dice for Weeks 9-12 to recite the Latin rules and John 1.


English - a parent brought in a battery operated game of ducks and you could pick up a duck and find the symbol on the back for Weeks 1-12 to recite the English.


Timeline  - we used mini-timeline cards sorted by week, but scrambled and the kids had to work together to place them in order, many were singing the timeline song.  :)


Science - Chutes and Ladders Science review was fun!

History - throw the "snowball" (cotton ball) into a numbered plastic cup to see which week you will recite, they could also listen to the history songs if needed.



The children were motivated by receiving a small, inexpensive prize at each station for participating and going through as much memory work as they could, and then I gave them a candy cane as their special prize at the end for completing all of the stations!  This really worked well, the kids enjoyed it and they were able to go to every station to review.

Now their parents have ideas of other ways to enjoy reviewing at home over our holiday break, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment