"Your Word is a light unto my feet and a lamp unto my path." Psalm 119:105

Hello and welcome! I'm a former elementary music educator, turned mom and home educator for more than 15 years. I have a passion for teaching, singing, and encouraging others along the way! Although I began blogging as a way to create a journal of our home education journey, I enjoy writing about a variety of topics related to home education, family, friends, and faith. I hope you enjoy journeying along with us!



Thursday, March 23, 2017

January, 2017 Our Homeschool Snapshot

January, 2017

I feel like I have not been updating this blog regularly for the last couple of years. I want to keep a better record of the rest of our journey in home education. It's different when the kids are not playing games and making cute crafts to post photos of here, but we are learning every day, enjoying some great discussions, laughter, and yes, frustrations from time to time. We only had snow on the ground for two days, but we did enjoy playing outside in it while it was here.  Here is a "snapshot" of what January looked like for us.
  • We have had many current events discussions and watched the inauguration of a new President
  • J is reading through the book of Matthew and A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
  • We hit a rough spot in Algebra I, but wrestled with it and are moving along well again now. Sue at Math U See talked with me one afternoon when I called for help and she was extremely encouraging and helped me to know that other families were calling in about the same lesson around this time of year. It sure helps to not feel alone!
  • J also wrote a short narrative essay about Jesus calming the storm
  • He is dealing with some soreness in his back, but still enjoys his weightlifting class at the high school

  • B decided to start her 9th grade curriculum in her second semester of 8th grade. I spoke with David at My Father's World and he helped me to feel more confident in our decision and that it would be fine to allow her to move ahead in her studies.
  • She is enjoying feeling more challenged in some of her strongest areas and she likes learning at a deeper level, which I think she was absolutely ready for. I am glad that she wasn't afraid to talk about it with me in December.
  • She is reading through Genesis and finished Job.
  • B wrote a poem about sin, while studying Genesis.  She hasn't written much poetry, but she chose this project and I think she enjoyed it.
  • Piano lessons started back up after Christmas break and I am so glad to hear her play!



No comments:

Post a Comment