The last days of summer in August can still be quite hot and humid, but as we slip into September, the morning air begins to cool, the soybean fields that were once a bright green turn a beautiful bright yellow, and the leaves start to hint at a change of color. There still might be some humid or very warm afternoons, but as the morning and evenings cool and I need a sweatshirt, the temperature reminds me that Autumn is coming. I love the warmth of summer, but by late September, I am ready for the beauty of autumn!
This change in seasons is fun and exciting! By October, the leaves start to turn a much wider variety of colors and I look forward to football games, pumpkin scented candles, and wreaths of warm, orange hues. My family and I also enjoy sitting around a bonfire at night and since the sky gets dark earlier than in summer, we can see the stars. We might make s'mores and hot chocolate or pop some popcorn to enjoy on fall evenings for a treat!
As I look at the leaves, I am reminded that each singular leaf on a tree may have a slight variation in color, shape, and size. Just like the leaves, the changes we are each experiencing in our lives are also unique. I like structure and routine and do not naturally embrace changes in my life, but I am ready to welcome the change in seasons in Indiana. After I
experience the dry, hot days of summer for a few months, I eventually find relief in the
cool days of fall. Autumn reminds me that even for someone who does not always embrace change, it can also be good and beautiful!
At times, my life feels like it is changing too quickly, like I don’t have time to prepare for the changes that happen. Sometimes I can feel greatly frustrated and afraid when changes happen that are out of my control, but I was reminded again this week that the one person who does not change is God! He is eternal and his character and love do not ever change. I am so thankful that even when everything in my family, community, and the larger world around me feels as if it is changing and overwhelming me, God’s love is constant and faithful. His mercy is new every morning! He gives me a new day every twenty-four hours and He keeps showing up, showing me His love, care, and compassion through His Word and through people in my life. He shows me His beauty and goodness in His beautiful creation, in the brilliant colors of orange, red, yellow, and brown in the changing leaves of the trees.
My circumstances are always changing, like the seasons, but I am grateful that I can rely upon
God to always be here, with open arms, ready to welcome me into His
presence. I can continue to move forward, walking through the changes in my life and He walks alongside of me. This comforts me and gives me courage to keep going, even when I don't know how the changes are going to work out in the end. I can remember that God is always walking with me and I can rely on His strength to carry me through the seasons of my life. How is God showing up and walking along with you through the changes in your own life?
Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. Lamentations 3:23
Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. James 1:17

No comments:
Post a Comment