"Your Word is a light unto my feet and a lamp unto my path." Psalm 119:105

Hello and welcome! I'm a former elementary music educator, turned mom and home educator for more than 15 years. I have a passion for teaching, singing, and encouraging others along the way! Although I began blogging as a way to create a journal of our home education journey, I enjoy writing about a variety of topics related to home education, family, friends, and faith. I hope you enjoy journeying along with us!



Friday, March 23, 2012

Spring Has Sprung! March 23, 2012

Spring Has Sprung!

The Homeschool Mother


In my life this week…
It feels like summer!  I love this wave of 70 and almost 80 degree weather!  Trees and flowers are blossoming about a month early here in Indiana.  We had to go shopping to find new, larger sizes of clothes for both kids and I found a comfy new pair of athletic shoes that have put a "spring" in my step!  (Pun intended!)  I love spring and am happy to feel the warm sunshine again!


In our homeschool this week…
I am teaching our homeschool group about orchestras and orchestra music during this last 6 weeks.  My hubby bought me a fancy new projector so I can just plug it directly into my laptop and show a power point presentation!  He loves working with technology, but this piece of technological equipment is easy to use and I really am using it!

We are enjoying some weather that is more warm and almost summery than the weather we normally have in March.  It has been nice to get outside on walks and just letting the kids ride their Ripsticks around the driveway while taking a break or even while practicing math facts! This week we took some time for a spring break while all of the other area schools were on break, too.  This teaching mama needed a break and we still had two half days of school and a field trip!  We also enjoyed catching up on history stories by listening to Story of the World while driving out of town one day. 

Questions/thoughts I have…
We have used Math-U-See for all the 6 years of our journey of home education. I enjoy the DVD teaching by Mr. Demme, the use of the MUS blocks in explaining new concepts, the space on the pages for writing and working on equations, and the online drill of math facts on the MUS website.  However, both curriculum companies that I have used and trusted recommend using Saxon math in the 7th-12th grades.  J will be in 6th grade and so I am wondering if or when to switch?  Is Saxon really "better"?  Would it help to make the switch in 6th grade?

Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
Last weekend we took a trip to my in-laws and enjoyed a warm weekend, visiting with them, and being outdoors.

Then, we took some time off this week to take Daddy to the Louisville Slugger Museum, this former college pitcher had a blast at the batting cages!  Needless to say, we came home with some new bats and he and J played until they were sore that evening!  Yes, spring is here!






I am inspired by...
In the Good Morning Girls Bible study this week we conclude reading Chapter 5 of Ephesians with instructions for wives and husbands.  There are already some great posts about love and respect in marriage relationships at the GMG website!  Check it out!


My favorite thing this week was…
Taking my daughter to the state high school gymnastics meet was a fun time!  She was inspired by the great gymnasts and our local team placed 5th overall, while the girl who helps in B's gymnastics class each week placed 4th in the individual all-around!

My other favorite thing this week was seeing my son teach my husband and daughter how to ride their new Ripsticks! They are all enjoying their new hobby!




Things I’m working on…
I am already looking at curriculum for next year and getting excited about the Indiana Association of Home Educators convention next weekend!

A photo, video, link, or quote to share…
Spring beauty!

2 comments:

  1. Yay for pink tennis shoes...that would put the spring on my step too! Looks like you had a great week and are enjoying the beautiful weather. We are big gymnastics fans here too:) We're going to watch our college team participate in the NCAA regional finals meet this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pink tennis shoes, too! My husband is also a technology geek-which makes all of us a little bit of one, too ;-)

    I enjoyed reading about your week!

    All three of ours takes a gymnastics class. Congratulations to your oldest daughter, our oldest girl is pondering whether or not to join the team. She's eight and loves gymnastics, but loves her free time outside. Not sure if she's ready for a 4-6 hour commitment each week to be in the gym instead of hiking the trails, etc...

    ReplyDelete