"Your Word is a light unto my feet and a lamp unto my path." Psalm 119:105

Hello and welcome! I'm a former elementary music educator, turned mom and home educator for more than 15 years. I have a passion for teaching, singing, and encouraging others along the way! Although I began blogging as a way to create a journal of our home education journey, I enjoy writing about a variety of topics related to home education, family, friends, and faith. I hope you enjoy journeying along with us!



Monday, April 9, 2012

April 8, 2012

Easter Sunrise Baptisms

The Homeschool Mother


In my life this week…
I am super thankful for this special Easter Sunday.  Both of our children decided to ask Jesus into their hearts in the year 2010, but they both were just baptized on Sunday!  My daughter was determined to be baptized on Easter and took a 6 week Discipleship class at church in preparation for the baptism. I went through all of the lessons together at home, with both children, and we talked a lot about our faith and baptism.  My son decided that he did not want to do it right now, so we stopped talking about it.  Then, on Palm Sunday, my daughter made her confession of faith, along with her classmates, and when I was tucking my son into bed that night, he said that he had changed his mind and wanted to go through baptism!  My niece decided that she wanted to be baptized at her church on Easter, too, so I have told my daughter how she helped her brother and cousin by being a witness for Jesus and helping Him work in their lives!  My children were so excited that they had no trouble waking up at 5 am to be at the 6:30 am Easter sunrise service.  It was a blessing and a joy to watch them go through baptism!  We also worshiped again at the 9am service and I directed the adult choir in one special song and sang a solo during the other piece.  Then, we traveled to my sister's church and worshipped there and witnessed my niece's baptism.  After that, we spent the whole afternoon visiting with family, so it was a fun day that wiped me out!
Excited on baptism day!








In our homeschool this week…
We also enjoyed the fun traditions and festivities of Easter that we have enjoyed since the kids were tiny.  We read our favorite Easter story books, like The Legend of the Easter Egg, and colored eggs.  The kids had fun racing around our church at the egg hunt on Saturday and then they also hunted for eggs at our family celebration on Sunday. 
B's new "bunny" eggs!

We are wrapping up our 2nd semester of Classical Conversations Cycle 3!  I cannot believe that we have completed all 24 weeks.  I have put time, thought, study, and effort into this each week.  I feel that my children and I have learned huge amounts of information and we have worked hard at our learning through the classical methods this year.  We will have an end of the year celebration later this week.

Questions/thoughts I have…
I am reposting this question to see if I can get some feed back:  We have used Math-U-See for all the 6 years of our journey of home education. I enjoy the DVD teaching by Mr. Demme, the use of the MUS blocks in explaining new concepts, the space on the pages for writing and working on equations, and the online drill of math facts on the MUS website.  However, both curriculum companies that I have used and trusted recommend using Saxon math in the 7th-12th grades.  J will be in 6th grade and so I am wondering if or when to switch?  Is Saxon really "better"?  Would it help to make the switch in 6th grade?

Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
My sister and mother both had the day off of work on Good Friday, along with my sister's kids being out of school, so we took a last minute field trip to the Indianapolis Zoo! It was an adventure with my mom, sister, my 2 kids and my niece and 3 nephews ranging from 13 years old to 9 months!  I think we will all remember our sunny, yet cool, day at the zoo.

I am inspired by...
I just completed the Good Morning Girls Bible study of Ephesians last week.   Reading just a few short verses each day for 12 weeks, reading the blog posts on the GMG website, and sharing my thoughts with a few friends via e-mail has been a great way for me to study the Word, even during the school year.


My favorite thing this week was…
Watching my children take this step in their journeys with the Lord.
Easter Sunday, 2012


A photo, video, link, or quote to share…

1 comment:

  1. Aww, how wonderful to be baptized on Easter! Love the colorful eggs! Thanks for stopping by my blog!
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete