"Your Word is a light unto my feet and a lamp unto my path." Psalm 119:105

Hello and welcome! I'm a former elementary music educator, turned mom and home educator for more than 15 years. I have a passion for teaching, singing, and encouraging others along the way! Although I began blogging as a way to create a journal of our home education journey, I enjoy writing about a variety of topics related to home education, family, friends, and faith. I hope you enjoy journeying along with us!



Wednesday, November 14, 2012

More Fall Fun



Written by Rachel, November 11, 2012

In my life this week…
Wow!  October just flew by me and here it is November!  I should not be surprised, but somehow I am because flipping my calendar to November always seems to bring winter and the holidays.

In our homeschool this week…
We  have also recently been reviewing the compound sentence structure and how to diagram this kind of sentence.   J completed Level 6 of the Barton Reading and Spelling System this week!  I am rejoicing because it has taken us a whole year to complete this Level with it's many rules about how and when to use "Silent E".  We did have winter break, spring break, summer break, but it took a lot longer than any of the other levels and now I hope we will progress more rapidly through the other four levels!  We know it took hard work and perseverance, so we let him pick out a new video game as a reward.  Learning to read and especially spell for a dyslexic student take time, patience, and hard work!  B is reading a Nancy Drew mystery right now, and our Golden Retriever seemed to enjoy her reading time, too!
Buddies!

Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…
Try taking a nature walk while the weather is still nice enough to get outside.  We have been able to take some nature walks for our science time in Classical Conversations.  The weather was nice this week so we found a variety of things on our walks, including deer that were too fast for me to snap a photo of as they ran away!



My favorite thing this week was…
Both of our children attended a choral festival last Saturday with their choir.  It was a fantastic concert and an old friend and master of the organ played some amazing pieces and accompanied them, too.  It was fun to see B in her very first concert of this kind since this is her first year in the children's choir. 

I am reading ...
We are almost done with our read aloud book "Tirzah" and I completed my 8 weeks of reading through Colossians.  I am going to try to catch up on reading "The Present Future" that we have started watching videos for in our Sunday School class at church.

I am working on...
I was able to work on my Essentials lesson plans through the week and then finish them on Saturday morning, so I wasn't rushing around doing it on Sunday.

I am grateful for... 
Some time at home on Saturday night to play a game with my girlie!  We love to play the game Qwirkle together.  This is how it turned out this time.


I am praying for...
My mom who has eye surgery on Monday.

A photo, video, link, or quote to share…
My husband made a Bourbon chili for the annual chili cook-off that our friends invited us to attend again.  His entry did not win an award, but several people commented on how good it was.  He entitled it "Maker's Mark and the Jerk."





Here are some snapshots before the gorgeous maple trees in our front yard drop their leaves.









Hop on over to the Hip Homeschool Hop, The Homeschool Mother's Journal, Collage Friday,  and Weekly Wrap-up.  Have a great week!
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment